Koodo Community

Community

Solved

My phone randomly cracked what do I do?

My phone is just under a year old (Iphone 5s) I was using it then I went to feed my dog and left it on my bed, when I came back my phone that was in pristine condition was so cracked that it is barely usable. I don't know what I should do from here, I can no longer access the top half of my screen and there are shards of glass falling off of the screen. Is there some kind of solution and does anybody have a clue what may have happened? (I'm new to this forum just hoping to find some insight).

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You mentioned you had a dog so it could have come from them. A probable answer is that you dropped it previously and the phone recieved a micro fracture from the drop that you didnt notice. Then it finally just decided to spread, (due to changes in temperature, pressure, etc.) If you have applecare you can get a replacement screen for fairly cheap. You can also check out pricing from local repair places. I would try contacting apple first though. If they discover the phone hasnt had any damage due to drops and the screen indeed just broke they may be willing to do it for free.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

You mentioned you had a dog so it could have come from them. A probable answer is that you droppe...

That change in temperature could very well have been from leaving the phone on the bed as most phones nodays will definitely heat up quite a bit in a very short period of time sitting on a bed or pillow ect especially if it was covered by something such as a blanket or book or pair of pants. Never leave your phone on a soft place that covers the phone surface as phones are air cooled and covering it or setting it on these surfaces doesn't allow the air to get to the surface of the phone and cool it, this is much more na issue when charging and or usage such as music or a video playing while it's on there that really heats up a device and very quickly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can bring it to an Apple store for it to get fixed
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

If still under warranty (OP said she has an iPhone 5s)...otherwise 3rd party phone repair shops will fix it. Fortunately, iPhone screen repairs are cheaper than Androids.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Even if a phone is not under warranty you can still bring it to the Apple store
Userlevel 6
Dennis wrote:

I'm sure Apple store will do it for a fee. Will likely be cheaper if repaired by a 3rd party if out of warrantee.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Only if it is a warranty fix