Koodo Community

Community

Solved

my messages are being sent to my phone number and my friends

i upgraded my IPhone 4 last night and i had been under my frined appleID account because i didnt know how to set up my own and now hes reciving all my messages and is able to have conversations with my contacts and i can see it all on my phone

6 replies

Userlevel 2
You can create one here: https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleId As for the process of switching your phone over to your new ID, that I couldn't tell ya how to do, but I'm sure it's listed on the apple website.
By rights, everyone should have their own ID, it will help you in the long run, and now you know. Make your own ID, Update your contacts, and Give 'er!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Coral. I think this is somehow related to the apple ID and iMessage. The thing is I don't see why messages would be related to the Apple ID account. First, make yourself a new account, and if the problem is still here, I think your friend must make a new acount too.
Userlevel 7
Robert wrote:

Hello Coral. I think this is somehow related to the apple ID and iMessage. The thing is I don...

Because iMessage can be sent/received using more than just your phone number. You can use your apple ID to send iMessages
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Coral. I think this is somehow related to the apple ID and iMessage. The thing is I don...

Well, if other people have Apple IDs but the way I see the problem is that the "friend" gets access to more than some contacts.
Userlevel 5
Robert wrote:

Yup it has to do with iCloud essentially. When you sign into an apple ID with iCloud it will merge your contacts with the server. If the same apple ID is on each device all the contacts get merged. iMessage can merge your phone number with your apple ID as well, so if you're sharing an Apple ID with a friend, both of your numbers will get merged with that ID and you'll get each others messages. Best thing (as stated above) is to use your own apple ID.