Koodo Community

Community

Solved

My data is being used while I am connected to WiFi or while the phone is not in use.

I have an IPhone 6S and lately my data usage has gone through the roof for no apparent reason. I have WiFi assist turned off and I have been connected to WiFi most of the time. Any downloads are prohibited from using data because I have them turned off in my settings so I don't understand why my phone is still using so much data in so little time. For example my phone was connected to WiFi and charging and yet during this time 200MB of data was used. My phone has no update notifications to show what could have caused such a large data usage. Also I received a 50% data limit warning 3 hours after the initial 200MB were used and about mins later I received another warning stating that I had used 90% of my data. Thats another 40% in 10 mins. I am not happy about this and I refuse to pay for data I am not using. I have gone through the steps to prevent this sort of thing but it is still happening. HELP!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wifi can cut off at anytime if you have a dead zone in your house. When Wifi turns off Data turns on automatically (if its turned on)and then whatever updates are pending can go thru causing data to be used. Also Apples texting app uses data so if ur sending those while ur on wifi and it drops, it will kick in on data.

Your best bet, is to leave data off until you need it. Even while on wifi things can happen. You can also turn on airplane mode, and then turn ONLY wifi back on and this will stop it from kicking in if you hit a dead spot. As for not paying for the data that was used, and if Koodo is not willing to credit u as a 1 time thing, you will be stuck paying for it as it will just be attached to ur account and eventually in collections. Best bet is to find out whats wrong, fix it, and prevent it from happening in the future.
I have had this phone for a long time now and in the past couple of months or so this has suddenly become an issue. My parents use WiFi and data but do not get the same spikes I do.

Userlevel 7
Kayla Bachmeier wrote:

I have had this phone for a long time now and in the past couple of months or so this has suddenl...

We had the same issue recently.

We went into cellular and I't showed which apps were using the most data

For us it was Facebook, fb Messenger and instagram.

We turned off background app refresh for those apps and voilà, problem solved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kayla Bachmeier wrote:

I have had this phone for a long time now and in the past couple of months or so this has suddenl...

Background refresh is the bane of low data bucket's existence.