Koodo Community

Community

Solved

My crazy wife updated to iOS7 (not on WIFI)

I discovered my wife updated her phone to iOS7. She was changing her ring tone and it came up with an update dialog. She said YES, instead of asking me if she should or not. She's only on a 200MB data plan, and when I updated my iPad over WIFI it was 700MB download. How much of an over-charge is it going to cost her?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It depends what plan she has and the overages rate she has so right now we can't answer without k owing that.
Userlevel 2
The iOS7 update is about 752MB. Assuming your wife's plan has overage rate of $5 per 250MB, it will cost between $15 to $20 of data overage fee depending on how much data she used prior to updating.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

It depends what plan she has and the overages rate she has so right now we can't answer without k...

On the last promo plan that was $30, 150mins or so and like 200MB data. If the worst case scenario is $5/250MB, the world hasn't ended.
Userlevel 2
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

It depends what plan she has and the overages rate she has so right now we can't answer without k...

OP mentions that the plan has 200MB of data. The only plan currently available with 200MB is the $40 Canada-wide Data plan. So it could be reasonably assumed that OP has that plan.
Thanks, I guess it could have been worse.. I was fearing the $500 monster phone bill. Guess I'm still living in 2005.
Userlevel 5
delSol97 wrote:

Thanks, I guess it could have been worse.. I was fearing the $500 monster phone bill. Guess I'm ...

You could always send an email to Koodo about the "mistake". Usually Koodo is extremely generous with these situations. $500 monster phone bills don't exist anymore... unless you're attacked with those premium messages and go over your overages excessively, but that's highly unlikely 🙂
Userlevel 6
Doesn't Apple limit app downloads/updates done on 3G/LTE to 100 MBs or something like that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Doesn't Apple limit app downloads/updates done on 3G/LTE to 100 MBs or something like that?

It does that for the app store. I'm not sure about OS updates.
Userlevel 5

I'm aware that you can force certain applications to only work with WiFi but I don't think it is available with the OS updates. If you choose to update via data, I believe it will just update like that.
Userlevel 2

I believe that OS updates, Apple does not limit it because it's essentially required.
Userlevel 5
I could be wrong about this but I believe that the phone will not let you do the update unless it's downloaded via WiFi (every time I've checked on cellular the option to download and install has been greyed out) That being said (also could be wrong here) I also believe my iOS devices have downloaded the updates on their own (over wifi) and then prompted me to install. This could be what happened to your wife and if that's the case there's nothing to worry about.
Userlevel 2
Jorden wrote:

I could be wrong about this but I believe that the phone will not let you do the update unless it...

I've been able to download OS updates to my Nexus S over 3G.
Userlevel 7
Jorden wrote:

I could be wrong about this but I believe that the phone will not let you do the update unless it...

That's because it's Android. Jorden is refrring to iOS/iPhones
Userlevel 2
Jorden wrote:

Don't OTA updates work the same across all platforms? I haven't heard of any OS update needing wifi. My Fiancee had a 4 & a 5 and did not need to be on wifi to do the updates.