Koodo Community

Community

Solved

moving to US

I'm moving to the US and want to still use my current phone when I get a new carrier seeing I haven't had my iphone4S a year yet. I will need to get it unlocked and get a SIM card? Can I stay with Koodo until I find a carrier? What is the $15/month "seasonal hold" thing all about? I understand I have to pay off my tab when I cancel my service....

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You will need to stay with Koodo until you have unlocked your iPhone... their fee is still the best at $35. The seasonal hold seems a bit pointless in your case, it is only meant to keep your number active until you get back. If you do want to keep your number, you are probably best off to port it to a VOIP provider such as Fongo.
Userlevel 7
Hi LN, To use your iPhone on another carrier, you will need to get it unlocked for 35$ by Koodo. You will have to contact them using *611 from your mobile device. If you want to stay with Koodo until you find your carrier, then I would recommend you get a US add-on so you can phone and text whomever you need to while you find the carrier. For more information on add-ons, visit this site: https://www.koodomobile.com/add-ons The Seasonal hold is a plan that is designed to just keep your phone number while you are away on vacation. It costs 15$ a month and it does not include any airtime or texts, etc. Hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Follow the yellow brick road started by Sophia above. 1. Get the phone unlocked while you are still a Koodo customer. Seasonal hold will be a waste of time for you if the move is permanent. 2. Get a SIM from ConsumerCellular in the US. Available at any Target or Sears store. They work on the AT&T network, so 100% Koodo-equipment compatible. No contract, the SIM is $10 refundable on your first month's bill. $25 a month will get you a very decent service bundle. Choose a local US number that will be convenient to you. Long distance and texts to Canada almost free. 3. Port your existing Koodo number to Fongo, CallCentric or any other VoIP provider, so that you can get your Cdn calls forwarded to your new number for pennies a minute. Works very smoothly.