Koodo Community

Community

Solved

More Data/Less Minutes

I have 2 boys with Phones. They use lots of Data and very few minutes, but I pay for 300/500 minutes/Mth.  I don't want to pay for Minutes they don't use. Anyone know of a plan with more Data and less minutes?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is a few of the high data plans that u can get cheaper if u opt to get less minutes. Under plans. There will be a notation stating how much. Just check out the plan section on the Koodo website.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Right now a 300 minute plan with only 300 MB of data is $40; a 400 minute plan with 500 MB of data is $45. The minutes is the cheap part of the deal, as for $8 / $3 more, each of your sons could have 10 to 16 times the amount of data they currently access, and as many or as few minutes as they want to use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

Right now a 300 minute plan with only 300 MB of data is $40; a 400 minute plan with 500 MB of dat...

Sorry, seems I landed in Manitoba, rather than my usual location when I quoted those prices.  If you're looking for a better deal, and are prepared to self-manage your account, you could look at the prices at Public Mobile
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

Right now a 300 minute plan with only 300 MB of data is $40; a 400 minute plan with 500 MB of dat...

Yeah public mobile has some pretty good prices, got a few of my friends to switch to them due to their 90-day plan options. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As you can see here ppl have been wanting more data and less minutes for over 3 years now and Koodo and won't budge at all and have actually went the opposite way to dig deeper into users pockets as they realize they sell a device that depends drastically on data to be used as intended. You can use as much data as you want but be prepared to pay for it. Until the CRTC makes it mandatory for Canadian carriers to offer a reasonable amount of data at a reasonable price we won't see more data and less minutes equating to a reasonable price exchanging one for the other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Back when data use was not a major consideration, but a few years after the early Era of smartphones, data was a secondary feature like texting given out for reasonable amounts. A "dumb" phone could have unlimited data for 7 a month. Pre UMTS network Telus had a retention unlimited data deal for 15 a month but no tethering...easily sidelined but nonetheless, it was there. A combination of HSPA and smartphone use trend in more towards data use saw the shift of revenue generation transition to data as well. The last good data plans outside of MB/SK/QC go back to the 6gb for 60-65 promos in the summer of 2012. If you need more data and aren't willing/ able to pay the large premiums the big 3 demand, if you're in a WIND home network area, you should strongly considering switching.