Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Lots of date usage with iphone 4s when phone is on wifi.

I'm seeing some strange data usage on an iphone 4s show up on my usage stats. I see usage like this show up when I'm sleeping or early in the am (phone is on wifi during these times). Here is an example: 6:45:10 AM 10.00 MB Data Usage from/to $0.00 6:45:10 AM 10.00 MB Data Usage from/to $0.00 6:45:10 AM 10.00 MB Data Usage from/to $0.00 6:45:10 AM 10.00 MB Data Usage from/to $0.00 6:45:10 AM 8.02 MB Data Usage from/to $0.00 this happens frequently, not everyday. It's a lot of data regularly and frequently put me over my limits. I've checked apps and turned off push notifications on alot of them, don't use facebook. Any ideas?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What apps are using this data? Is it system services?
I really have no idea. I have a custom data tracking app but it doesn't break down by app usage or time of day. Any ideas on how to get specific info from the iphone to track this down? I did reset the data tracking for apps to see if this can help identify what is causing this. Will report back in a day or two. Just noticed these 2 usage entries in the past two days: Jan 20 - 4:59:19 AM 10.06 MB Data Usage Jan 19 - 4:59:19 AM 10.04 MB Data Usage again this is when the phone should be connected to wifi so whatever is doing this is not using the wifi connection.
Userlevel 5
iPhone is notorious for backround data usage. Pop into Settings>Cellular Scroll down to the section called "Use Cellular Data For:" Here you can disable apps from having the ability to use data. I reccomend to all of my customers buying phones with little or Pay-per-use data to sift through this regularly and turn off apps that you'll never use/don't want to use data for. Hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Justin Robichaud wrote:

iPhone is notorious for backround data usage. Pop into Settings>Cellular Scroll down to th...

At the same time check your wifi sleep settings. Older iOS versions would turn wifi off if the unit wasn't plugged in to conserve battery.
Justin Robichaud wrote:

iPhone is notorious for backround data usage. Pop into Settings>Cellular Scroll down to th...

Thanks for the help! I've reset the stats and the Settings>Cellular isn't keeping an accurate record of which apps are using data. Koodo and my data tracking app are very close so something is using the data and not being recorded by the phone. I have another iphone (even older) and never any issues like this.