Koodo Community
Solved

Lost phone

• 26 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone! 

I’ve lost my iPhone and I’m wondering if anyone has had any luck finding their phones when find my iPhone is offline??? Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Sophia 26 July 2020, 06:58

If it's offline I don't think you'll have much luck. Do you have any idea where you might have lost it? To prevent it getting into the wrong hands, you may want to report it as stolen in self serve, block the SIM card and contact your local police in case there was an honest finder!

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If it's offline I don't think you'll have much luck. Do you have any idea where you might have lost it? To prevent it getting into the wrong hands, you may want to report it as stolen in self serve, block the SIM card and contact your local police in case there was an honest finder!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Actually, newer iPhone have a way of finding them even if they’re offline.

There's a great reason to update to iOS 13 - now the Find My service is able to track iPhones and other Apple products using a Bluetooth signal that they produce.

This means that even if your iPhone is not connected to the web it will still be able to broadcast it's location to you. Because hopefully the person who has your iPhone won't have been able to use it without unlocking it, it is likely that it isn't connected to the web, therefore this new Bluetooth method is a great way of tracking the lost device because it can be 'seen' by Bluetooth beacons (in shops and so on) regardless of whether it is connected to the web.

So you might have some luck there. If the option is activated. I’m not sure if it’s on by default or not 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Once “find my iPhone” was off, the phone wouldn't broadcast its location of the device to icloud sevice, so there is no chance for finding it with apple tool (either via wifi, bluetooth, cellular network). 

I would suggest you file a lost report to local police and check “lost and found" places around the area where you lost your phone. You should also suspend your cellular koodo service to avoid any accidental usage.