Koodo Community

Let's Focus on Tab, BYOD, and Prepaid. Eliminate the iPhone Contract as an Option

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The fact that a contract is available for the new iPhone only causes confusion to some new customers. They may misunderstand and believe their contract is a tab, or that they can get other high end phones on contract. Let's simplify the model and eliminate all contracts when going with Koodo. Beside, the iPhone is not the same dynamo that requires its own special contract anymore. Treat it like every other phone. If anything, maybe increase the tab for the iPhone/all other phones

28 replies

Userlevel 1
Only iPHONE 5 has the 3 years Term, not iPHONE 4, if purchased with Tab or outright you can avoid the 3 years term
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Well, Tabs are contracts. The CRTC calls them indeterminate contracts, because your time commitment is based on your original tab amount and your plan price. And, as far as I understand, Koodo HAS to have a special contract for iPhones. This is because Apple is quite strict at how its devices are subsidized and it dictates the terms. How many people would get the iPhone 5 at $520? Without the special iPhone 5 contract, who would really choose Koodo as their provider if they wanted an iPhone 5?
Userlevel 5
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way that Koodo could eliminate the iphone 5 contract is if the phone is sold at cost and possibly even lower than $400. As for the Tab, Koodo may choose to rewrite how it is because of the new CRTC code of conduct. It states that once a person reaches over 2 years in any specified term agreement that any fees will be elimanated. I believe this applies to the Koodo tab too. Now Koodo could choose many directions on how to take on this. Maybe a 2 year tab agreement or by increasing the tab percentage. It will be interesting how carriers will take on the new CRTC code of conduct onces it is stablished on December 2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...Yes, that does apply to the tab, as no tab balance may be outstanding after 2 years. So it's up to Koodo to determine how to deal with this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...It's just that to get a subsidized iphone 5 the plans are so poor, that Koodo does not seem competitive at all. I would rather a larger Tab instead. Also there is not a huge price difference for the iPhone 5and Galaxy S4 (only $45 difference), and the S4 sells well without a subsidy. I just feel a subsidized iPhone 5 does not really allow customers to feel the Koodo advantage
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...Yeah, but how well does it sell? I believe that the phones much closer to the $150 tab are far outselling the likes of the N4, S3, S4, and even the S2X. Isn't the Ace Koodo's best selling phone? And remember, you don't have to get the iPhone 5 on a 3-year contract with special plans. Koodo's required to offer it, but the customer can simply choose the tab instead and pick any plan they like, no different from an S4.
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...P-Tor, If the ACE is the best selling phone, a lot of people will be waiting a long time to check this online without a good task killer
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...Thats a great question. I guess only Koodo can answer that. The same can be asked, how well does the iPhone contract sell every year and if those customers renew/stay Koodo customers. Maybe this question will prompt Koodo to look more closely at that data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...I've heard that the Ace is the best selling phone in Canada, period. But, I don't have the data. It's not really a stretch, considering its price. But it doesn't matter how well the iPhone 5 sells on the 3-year contract, or even on the tab. The iPhone is still the flagship device no carrier wants to be without and if Koodo wants to keep offering it, those contracts have to stay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...I'm not sure Im understanding you right Philosoraptor So if Koodo wants to sell the iphone 5 the 3 year contract has to stay? So if they removed the 3 year contract and only offered the iphone 5 on Tab they would not be allowed to carry the iphone 5?
Userlevel 6
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...As far as the no Tab can be outstanding after two years, I don't imagine that Koodo will be increasing the percentage of the bill that they will give tab points for. Most likely Koodo will begin requiring a minimum plan to qualify to have a phone subsidized with the Tab. Which would be $62.50 a month minimum. People are gonna be maaaaad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...I can almost guarantee you that this will not be Koodo's solution. Who would choose Koodo at $62.50 minimum? Fido has managed 24-month tabs for a while now while offering nearly identical prices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...@Dennis: Yes, that's correct. Apple would take the "privilege" of carrying the iPhone 5 away from Koodo if they removed the ability for customers to buy it for $180 on a contract. The iPhone plan prices are there because Koodo has to recover that massive subsidy somehow.
Userlevel 6
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...Well Philosoraptor, I guess that the only other thing they'd offer is to leave everything as is and promote more expensive plans as a way to get out of the service cheaper before the end of the 2 years. As it stands the only plan offered that will fully clear a -150 in two years or less is the $75 data plan. Not too sure how Fido does it, do they offer more Tab points per month?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...Fido doesn't deal in percentages. They take the subsidized amount and divide it by 24, which amounts to how much your tab is reduced each month. Like with Koodo, you're responsible for the remaining balance should you cancel, but there is a $12.50 cancellation fee on top.
Userlevel 6
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th......then it's a fixed term contract and they just CALL it a Tab?
Userlevel 1
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...It's the Famous Fido Rewards Program that you can use to exchange those Fido points against an Iphone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...@Curtules: Yes. Tabs can be fixed term as well. The only thing that Fido would have to change to comply with the new CRTC Code is eliminating the $12.50 cancellation fee.
Userlevel 6
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...What Philo means is that Fido ends up giving back MORE than 10% of the monthly plan price. Koodo gives you back 10% only, and sincerely, I don't see that changing soon. In Fido's case, that % can vary depending on the subsidy you have, over a period of 24 months.
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...Topper and P-tor are correct. I had a $56/month with 2 gb plan; $5.60 towards a tab or 26+ months to clear the $150 tab. So if I wanted an S3 at $400, I would have to pay $250 up front plus 26 months to clear it. I moved that plan to Fido but 1 gb, Wasn't using 2 anyways. I got a S3 for $25 upfront ($225 cheaper) and it'll be clear in 24 months....now true $125 of that enticement was for swapping, and I got a month free plus bill credits for a referral. take out the switching enticements and Koodo is costing more. However Virgin is even more with their tab for my options.
Userlevel 1
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...@Philosoraptor: I disagree with you about the tab not being owed after 2 years. The new regulations are specifically aimed at fixed term contracts. Nowhere does it state that this is aimed at the Tab system. If it is, please outline where it specifically states "tab balances will be cleared after 2 years".
Philosoraptor is correct. The iPhone 5 contract is set up Apple and not by Koodo. The only way th...
As an Apple shareholder...I disagree! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As an Apple shareholder...I disagree! :)Hehe, I like that one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As an Apple shareholder...I disagree! :):p I'm an Apple shareholder too.