Koodo Community

Community

Koodo should offer iPhones with larger system storage

Userlevel 1
Koodo should be offering iPhones with larger system storage, at least 32GB options in addition.  If 64GB is not feasible, 32GB should be also offered in addition to the current 8GB and 16GB standards. 
Since digital standards and usage trends are growing daily each day according to people's needs, these options should be considered for future proofing and to maintain current customers and have available options for future customers looking for available options.
Since it is really not much, $100 or sometimes even less to upgrade to larger models with extra memory, Koodo should offer larger system storages for customers looking for these options.  Most people use their iPhones for at least 3-5 years, so it should be kept into consideration as to the price paid now plays a major role and difference later on in a few year's time.
Major competitive carriers that are comparable to Koodo and its prices include Virgin Mobile and Fido, which offer larger iPhone capacities, while offering them at the same price plans and tab options as Koodo for the same amount of monthly price per month. 
Since most people are not comfortable to pay a large upfront $800-$900 to completely outright purchase their iPhone, and are looking for monthly commitments or the tab payment system to obtain their device for cheaper at start, Koodo should offer larger iPhone capacities if it wants to maintain customers who are looking for these options or extend its business and market for customer's needs, instead of selling its business to a competitor since they offer something Koodo doesn't.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Not just iPhones. All phones should come with more storage.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Not just iPhones. All phones should come with more storage.

Or Apple could and should add expandable storage. No, they won't add expandable storage cause of all the money.
Userlevel 5
While I don't have access to any of the official numbers (so these are going to be pulled from you know where) this is my theory on it and why it really doesn't make sense for Koodo to carry the bigger models (but I am in support, going from 64 to 16 gigs isn't working for me). In order to carry the iphones, the carrier has to commit to buying a certain number of devices. Lets say for the sake of easy argument Koodo has 1 million customers (that puts them a little over 10% of Telus's total clients so that number is probably high). Again for the easy math lets say Apple requires a commitment of 100,000 per sku (so if they got 32 GB in all colours that's 300,000 devices for the 5s). Now I know some new customers would buy some but again for the sake of this argument, you would need 30% of Koodo customers to renew with a 32Gb 5S, just to sell them all, and I can guarantee you that it wouldn't happen. While it'd nice to use the tab for these bigger devices, if Koodo is going to have to sit on or take a loss on a large chunk of the inventory it makes no sense for them to get them. Same argument with windows phones (although I'm sure the required amount for them to buy is far lower). For Koodo to get these there needs to be a real demand, but right now it just doesn't work out math wise to make sense.
Userlevel 1
Jorden wrote:

While I don't have access to any of the official numbers (so these are going to be pulled from yo...

Yes, I totally understand what you are saying as to market shares and stuff. It totally makes sense and is a valid point. However, maybe if Koodo tried offering these models, they would be able to gain more new customers and business, and perhaps existing customers won't leave to another carrier for larger storage. This would also help Koodo to understand and see how many new customers they can attract towards their company and increase their sales and business. For example, existing customers who are looking for larger storage capacities have to already leave Koodo to go to another carrier to get larger memory, and new customers who are starting from scratch won't even consider looking at Koodo or thinking about it since their required needs are not available. By offering larger memories, Koodo can actually increase its customers' needs and gain larger amounts of customers, and would be able to have a higher need to offer larger capacities. Lastly, since other carriers who compete head-to-head with Koodo and offer the exact same pricing and plan options as Koodo include Virgin Mobile and Fido, and they offer all system storage options and a greater depth of options, while letting the customer to choose which plan they want to go on and how much they want to pay upfront, as well as having the flexibility of paying off the device or tab balance later on at the customer's choice: all being offered on the same pricing and plan options as Koodo. If Koodo chooses to offer larger sizes, they would also fit in with the rest of their competition, meet its customers needs and requirements, and gain greater business and amount of customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jorden wrote:

While I don't have access to any of the official numbers (so these are going to be pulled from yo...

Isn't Telus the one that does the purchasing? If so, Koodo shouldn't have problems with small orders as they'd be a part of Telus' order.
Userlevel 5
Jorden wrote:

Ali: I get where you're coming from, I'd honestly be interested to see total subscribers for the value brands, and would be interested to see how well those bigger phones sell there. Telus has stopped carrying the 32GB 5C so I can't imagine that one sold very well at all. Ivan: Yeah I'm not sure if they just get part of Telus's order or if they order separate inventory. I know iPhones are interchangeable between the companies, but the only support I have for my each orders differently theory is some phones are locked to Telus/Koodo and don't work without unlocking for the other one. That makes me think they order separately.
Userlevel 1
Jorden wrote:

Yes, Telus does the purchasing for the iPhones, just like Rogers purchases the devices for Fido, and Bell purchases the devices for Virgin Mobile. Koodo should be able to obtain the devices right from Telus and have them distributed to them from Telus, without any additional purchasing or ordering required. Telus did not discontinue selling the iPhone 5C 32GB, as I just checked the Telus website now and it is still being offered. However, if Telus did discontinue offering or selling the iPhone 5C 32GB, that is understandable as to why Koodo cannot offer it. However, there shouldn't be much trouble or difficulty for Koodo to offer the 32GB or even 64GB offerings of the iPhone 5S, as Telus is still offering those. Some phones are custom built for either Telus or either Koodo directly from the manufacturer, mainly being Android smartphones or flip phones, which are custom-locked for only the provider they are made for. iPhones, on the other hand, are only locked to the parent company and can be switched around for use either on the parent company's network, or its sub-brand, since the carrier profile and network code is the same. I know this because you can swap around a Bell or Virgin Mobile iPhone, or a Rogers and Fido iPhone between the two companies and it will work. (But this has nothing to do with the fact that Koodo cannot offer larger capacity iPhones).