Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo Representative please help with $5 charge on my bill

Could a service rep please help me or point me to the people to contact if this is the wrong place? My fiance and I have a shared account, the bill is usually $40 a piece. This month, we are being charged 45 each, supposedly due to using too much data. But I was never told that I used all my data and given the option to turn it on. And I wouldn't have used it were this the case. So basically, we have no idea what these $5 fees are even for. I really want this to be explained, and if it is found to be a mistake, then I want to pay the regular contract price. Please help.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can review your full invoice on Koodo's Self-serve. It will list the overage reasons. If you began your plans more than about a year ago, they are not the new Shock-free Data plans, but the old ones which allowed up to $50 in overages before ceasing (per CRTC). You can switch to a SFD plan in self-serve if you wish.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you sign on for a shock free data plan? Otherwise you would not be warned for hitting your limit. You can have your notifications turned on to get warned when you're at 50 and 90% and if you're on a "shock free data" plan then you can also have it shut off data at 100%. You can see on page 3 of your bill what your usage is and you can set your phone to show you how much data you are using.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Don't see an account matching your email address, Chris. If you can share the name the account is under and the last few digits of your phone number, we can look into this and provide some more info. Otherwise, the best advise, David and Goran have already asked all the right questions and provided great suggestions for how you can figure this out on your own. 
My email address was changed but this support address remained on my old one because it's a different sign in to self serve. My last few digits are 1703.
So I checked my billing and it says "shock free data" 500 MB. I opened the account pretty recently in August. I have gotten warnings before and one month Koodo did turn off my data because I reached 100%. That's how I knew about the warning to turn it back on. I absolutely did not turn it back on. In fact, my usage says that I used about 345 MB last cycle and only 80MB or so this month so far. My partner did use 500 MB but her data was turned off because we have the shock free. I also didn't make any foreign phone calls. I think there has been some kind of mistake, because the bill itself says we didn't use any data and it says zero for each category, and yet there is a charge for $5 that just says "data and SMS"
Plus, the $5 is added to each of us, making it $10 in total to the bill, despite neither of us breaking the data, 5pm call limits, and we have shock free and unlimited SMS according to the breakdown in my bill. So again, I feel this has to be a mistake. My data last cycle was 345 MB
Ranjan, my current main account uses a gmail address that is similar to my old hotmail one, used for this log in, yet including my surname. Hopefully you can verify it now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
C88 wrote:

Ranjan, my current main account uses a gmail address that is similar to my old hotmail one, used ...

Hi there - still unable to pull up an account using gmail instead of hotmail, and because I don't have a full name to work with, it's purely a guessing game. If you can send us a private message on either Facebook or Twitter, an agent will validate you as the account owner and help look into this for you. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you send SMS while in the USA, or near the border? That would attract a $5 fee for the first 100 SMS.
No. I haven't. Also, the breakdown list of monthly charges all say zero.
my charge on my charge card this month is $5 more than my actual Koodo bill.  why is that?  I talked to my charge card company and there is no extra charge for the billing.  last month my bill was $56. this month it's $61.60 and the charge card company said it was koodo that submitted the amount!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Darlene Clark wrote:

my charge on my charge card this month is $5 more than my actual Koodo bill.  why is that?&n...

Have you reviewed your PDF bill which you can download from self-serve? It will have the details of any charges to your account.
Darlene Clark wrote:

my charge on my charge card this month is $5 more than my actual Koodo bill.  why is that?&n...

Yes I have. Bill is for $50 plus $6 taxes...total $56 but $61.60 has been charged to my charge card
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Darlene Clark wrote:

Have a look at page 3 of your July bill, Darlene. There was a $5 charge for going over your data allotment. You can avoid such charges in the future by switching to one of our newer plans that come equipped with Shock-Free Data. With Shock-Free Data, you get alerts when you hit 50%, 90%, or 100% of your monthly allotment. Once you reach 100%, your data is blocked and can only be turned on if you opt-in to the overage rate, or purchase additional data until the end of your bill cycle.
Hope that helps.
Darlene Clark wrote:

If you notice the bill for that time..I paid for that extra $5 charge on July 31st. I have no extra charges for this month...so should not be having to pay it agaim
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Darlene Clark wrote:

That was the last payment we received, Darlene - on July 31st. Your new balance is $56, as you noted above, and isn't due until Sept. 5. 
Userlevel 6
Darlene Clark wrote:

Darlene? Lol small world.
Darlene Clark wrote:

Lol yes it sure is...
Darlene Clark wrote:

My account is also showing a $5 fee for data overage charge but shows that I used 885mb of my 1gb. No 90% warning, no 100% msg saying it was turned off. Something is definitely wrong with the system. How do I get this fixed. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Darlene Clark wrote:

Can you post the relevant portion of your PDF bill, so the community can have a look and offer some suggestions? Just exclude / strip any personal information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Darlene Clark wrote:

@ Brandy, looks like you are on an out-of-province plan which you are not eligible for based on your phone number and address. Please change to plan that is available in your province. You can contact us if you have any questions.