Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo or Wind?

I don't know witch to choice from Koodo or Wind mobile?

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Depends. Do you ever leave your house?
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

If you mean like going to places like to a mall than yes. Why?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Because Wind's plans are better but their coverage sucks. If you'll never be out of a Wind zone then wind is the better choice. If you're ever outside of one then Koodo is the obvious winner.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Wind has pretty good coverage now
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

You see the dark red spots on the wind coverage map? Those are the areas where you get unlimited service. In all the orange areas you'll get signal but you'll be paying $0.15-$0.20/minute in roaming charges.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Oh ok and if I stay with Koodo and I go to Edmonton or Toronto I wont get charged for using my data plan?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Exactly.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

With a 60$ plan you get free roaming
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Free roaming in the US, not Canada, Mark. Just a heads up: this thread is a year old, please check before you answer a question 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Since you brought it up, their current promo gives you a $10 credit/month for Canadian roaming.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Are their rates still $0.25/minute and $1.00/MB? Because if they are $10 won't cover very much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

No, $0.15/min, $0.05 outgoing text (free incoming), and $0.05/MB. $10 covers a lot. I really hope that Koodo doesn't continue to dismiss them as a threat.
Userlevel 1
It all comes down to the reception you can get in your area and the places you frequent. Koodo gets outstanding Canada-wide reception being on the TELUS network. Wind, on the other hand, is very much location dependent. If you could get your hands on a Wind phone, or if you have an unlocked phone that works on Wind's frequencies (like a Nexus), I'd make the investment and buy a Wind SIM and a cheap plan for a month just to try them and see if you get reasonable reception in the places you spend the most time in, if the reception is good enough for you, Wind is the best choice. You won't get LTE, and they are not participating in the upcoming 700 MHz spectrum, so they will be limited in terms of reception and data speeds going forward, but if you are okay with their current reception and data speeds, go for it. I know many people who are satisfied Wind customers, just depends on location and preferences.
Humberto Giambrone wrote:

It all comes down to the reception you can get in your area and the places you frequent. Koodo ge...

I heard about the spectrum its sad to hear that 😞 I like Wind plans cause they offer way more than Koodo like data. I usually stay in Calgary sometimes go to Edmonton thats it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you ever leave your zone and still want to use your phone you will get dinged with roaming charges if you go with wind. How ever if you are ok not using your phone outside of your zone or you never leave your zone then wind has aweaome plans
The only reason why I want to switch is cause of their awesome plans. Like the $39 one. Mostly cause of unlimited data
Userlevel 2
Darko Angelovski wrote:

The only reason why I want to switch is cause of their awesome plans. Like the $39 one. Mostly ca...

Wind's "unlimited data" isn't unlimited. After 5 GBs or so, they cap your speed to the point that it's not usable.
Userlevel 5
Keep in mind that most of the way while traveling between Edmonton and Calgary with wind you'd pay roaming charges for the calls/texts/data in the middle of roughly Airdrie and Leduc (that's about where the cutoff was last time I looked). Also my understanding is wind will cut your data down in speed when you use a certain amount (don't have the specifics). Basically you get what you pay for, unlimited data in a small area that slows down if you use more than a few gigs.
Userlevel 7
I've ported a lot of people from mobilicity and Wind over to Koodo recently because of the better coverage and reception. I work at the very northern section of Toronto, on the border of Vaughan. I hear complaints about dead spots/dropped calls from customers on those carriers and that's when they are outside... I couldn't imagine it inside.
Userlevel 3
When I was using Wind I had dropped calls quite often (approximately every 20 minutes. Sometimes longer, sometime shorter). I had a great rate for a plan but needed coverage outside the city. The dropped calls may have been due to using a really cheap phone, and they may have improved over the last couple years, but I've been happy with the coverage and call quality from Koodo. Didn't really have a problem with data throttling from Wind but then again I used about 2GB on a heavy usage month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It depends on your area and your own needs. Personally, I had no issues with Wind. Roaming wasn't a deal-breaker for me. Sure, data roaming is ridiculously expensive but I had a Virgin data-only flex-plan for when I wanted to have data while travelling. When you're roaming, it's only 20 cents/minute, and 15 cents/text (even in the US, though you can get even cheaper US roaming rates with an add-on). Incoming texts are always free. I was paying no more than $5/month in roaming charges though it was usually $1 to $2. As far as their unlimited data goes, you "may" be throttled at 5 GB (one month I used up ~6 GB and wasn't throttled). You can pay $10 extra throttling after 10 GB instead of 5. If you're on a promotional Koodo plan and you're afraid to lose it if you switch to Wind then don't port your number but rather open a Wind account and see if you're covered well in the areas that you usually frequent. If not, you can cancel your plan with them within two weeks (just make sure you check the terms). People often come to me for advice regarding carriers and I try to be as unbiased as possible, letting them know what's available from everyone (even Rogers, and my disdain for them runs deep, lol). So far, 7 people switched carriers after talking to me (5 were with Rogers and 2 with Fido). Of those 7, 5 went with Wind and 2 went with Koodo. I also don't know what you're paying now. You have to do your own math and see what's financially sound for you. I was able to switch to Koodo for my two lines for only ~$3 more/month. I lost a lot of things in the switch (unlimited data on one line, lost data altogether on the other line, unlimited US calling on both lines, and unlimited Canada calling on one line). But, my average data use was ~1.5 GB/month. My wife used no data. I called the US only once during that year. My wife may have lost her unlimited daytime minutes but she can't use her phone much at work so she still has all the minutes she needs as a part of her evenings and weekends being unlimited. Then there's the handset selection "issue". Most phones sold through Wind will work on the Big 3 networks if unlocked, but not the other way around. Sometimes there may be a particular phone that you want that just won't make it to Wind. Maybe it makes it to T-Mobile down south and you can import it or maybe not. But, select iPhone 5 models are compatible. All 5C/S are compatible. There are plenty of Samsung and Nokia phones that are compatible or have compatible variants (S2X, S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3, Lumia 810, Lumia 920, Lumia 1020, Lumia 52, Lumia 1520, Lumia 1320, and others). Nexus 4/5 are fully compatible. There's an HTC One variant for Wind as well. Most new Sony and BlackBerry phones have AWS support. But still, there may be phones you want that have no AWS variant, notably the Moto G and the LG G2. Bottom line: we can all give you advice but only you can figure out what's best for your situation.
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

It depends on your area and your own needs. Personally, I had no issues with Wind. Roaming wasn't...

Great post Ivan, but I'd just like to point out that Wind actually sells the G2 and isn't there a 1700 variant of the Moto G available in the U.S. or was that for it work on Verizon?
Ivan wrote:

It depends on your area and your own needs. Personally, I had no issues with Wind. Roaming wasn't...

I was with Wind (I did that very thing, I had a unlocked phone, paid the 16 bucks, got the 35 a month plan and tried it out) for 5 days and it was extremely slow, and super frustrating coming from LTE speeds. Yes, your phone works almost better on the TTC than it does on streetcars cuz of the deal wind made with the subway but on the whole..if you're ever in a bathroom stall or basement or even in a restuarant or whereever if youre not on wi fi then your data experience is gonna be way slower than koodo, and coming from LTE you'll probably just not wait for the page to load