Koodo Community

Koodo not for senior users.

I'm retired and travelling in the USA. Shut off my phone as did not want to pay charges but brought it with me. With my phone shut off I get a message that I am in USA. I don't want to pay any fees for being in the USA. My phone is off. So tried to get customer service. I want to talk to a rep. Called and went through all the prompts to get a call back. I'm on the third time. I get voice message that they called but my phone does not ring so I miss call. Is this a scam? I called myself on my Bell phone and it rang no problem. But why does it not ring when they call???? Had my wife call on her phone, Koodo phone on same account and it rang no problem. So I don't know what to do. Can't cancel and they will charge me $8.00 a day, so for 100 days I will be charged $800 for a service I won't even use, and I can't shut off. And that is about how long my trip will be. I don't know what to do.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Take your sim card out of the phone and put it in your wallet until you get back and you won't incur any charges. When you get back to Canada pop the SIM Card back in your phone and away you go like you've been using it in Canada up until this point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What plan are you on? are you a postpaid or prepaid?

They sent text to notify that you are roaming (incoming text is free). That wasn't an actual notification of a charge. However, you need to turn off cellular data to avoid any charge as Paul mentioned.

On the callback note, I would check your spam block tool and see if it accidentally block the Koodo number. You could also schedule a callback to a working number that you have access to or send message to Koodo facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Koodo) . Another way is to call them on 1 (866) 995-6636 from your Bell number.

Also roaming is capped at $150 per billing cycle. you won't be charged $800 for roaming.
well after I posted this I get a call from a rep. Basically told nothing they can do but to put on airplane mode and that will stop the charge. Asked her if she can text me text for my record and she says no. So I ask if I can record her on my other phone and she hangs up on me. Bell was more expensive but was so worth the extra few dollars a month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Well, if you are willing to pay more for customer service and higher rate, then I would suggest you go to 1st tier brand (Telus/Rogers/Bell)
I signed up on a previous trip that charges $8.00 a day while in USA. So for 100 days that works out to $800. But I just do not want to use the phone. I brought it with me but have it shut off. Had to turn it on to try and reach out to you, I don't want to pay anything because I happen to bring my that I am not going to use to the USA. You are the rep, how do we make this right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
well after I posted this I get a call from a rep. Basically told nothing they can do but to put on airplane mode and that will stop the charge. Asked her if she can text me text for my record and she says no. So I ask if I can record her on my other phone and she hangs up on me. Bell was more expensive but was so worth the extra few dollars a month.
So, you don't want to get any roaming charges.
Paul suggested to take your SUM out. (It's a zero chance to get roaming charges)
What did you want to talk about with Koodo?
Rep also suggested to put your phone on airplane mode. I don't think they can't do more than that
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is the customer forum. People here are mostly customers like you.

As I mentioned earlier, roaming charge is capped at $150/1 billing cycle. You cannot go up to $800 for 100 days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Actually capped at $100/billing cycle for the US.

As well you dont get charged $8/day if you dont use your phone. If you're down in the US for 100 days and only send texts, make or answer calls, or use data on 1 of those days then you'll only pay for $8 of roaming for the whole 100 days down there.
I don't understand why my phone rang, rather than just a missed call text, only after I put a message here. An yes I am willing to pay for 1st tier service from Bell, I did not realize that Koodo was a inferior service, they do not tell you that, so for anyone over 60 years old consider what you get for what you pay for. And for the younger crowd here please consider the level of understanding when you are helping your parents/grandparents with decisions regarding cell phone and internet. I actually thought for my age I was on top of things and Koodo worked fine for a long time for me but very, very different from when I had Bell for support. I only left Bell as contract ended and shopped for best price. Not a good idea
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't understand why my phone rang, rather than just a missed call text, only after I put a message here. An yes I am willing to pay for 1st tier service from Bell, I did not realize that Koodo was a inferior service, they do not tell you that, so for anyone over 60 years old consider what you get for what you pay for. And for the younger crowd here please consider the level of understanding when you are helping your parents/grandparents with decisions regarding cell phone and internet. I actually thought for my age I was on top of things and Koodo worked fine for a long time for me but very, very different from when I had Bell for support. I only left Bell as contract ended and shopped for best price. Not a good idea

But they were able to reach you at the end.

I would not advise my relative to roam freely in US with $8/day for 100 days. There are many other cheaper options. The problem was the way you controlled your roaming usage, it wasn't about the age. As Paul and the customer agent advised already.

Bell would charge you similarly or more expensive for that roaming period.
Just to clarify, Alan M is the Koodo rep? So look at what he said. I did not send a text. I did nothing, my phone was shut off. Koodo texted me. So Alan are you telling me that with my phone turned off, which means I cannot use it but Koodo can send me text that I will not be charged anything? That is all I want to know. If that is the case I apologize for this post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just to clarify, Alan M is the Koodo rep? So look at what he said. I did not send a text. I did nothing, my phone was shut off. Koodo texted me. So Alan are you telling me that with my phone turned off, which means I cannot use it but Koodo can send me text that I will not be charged anything? That is all I want to know. If that is the case I apologize for this post.

We are all customers here.
If you don't use your phone (no text, call, data), then no roaming charges.
There will be $8/day charges only when you used it.

To avoid roaming charges- put your phone on airplane mode as rep suggested. This could be chance of accidental use which cause roaming charges.
Taking SIM out is no chance to get roaming charges. (But, you won't be able to receive any texts, calls neither)
I had no intention of roaming while here. It is a bit of an age issue. I shut my phone off. Do I still get roaming charges? I looked into my settings on my phone. There is no roaming on off option. I understand that Bell would charge for roaming in the USA. But I could actually reach then for support. I appreciate all your assistance but I'm guessing, and I could be wrong, that there is no one here talking to me over 60. I would ask you to go onto Koodo self help and search for taking your phone to USA and shutting off roaming. I should not have to have left it at home or have to take out sim card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here's what works for this retired snowbirder: Switch to prepaid while in the US. This will close your regular account, but preserve your number. It will cost you $15 a month to keep your account active and you will pay for calls and texts by the unit, and not by the day. You can buy a batch of US calls, texts or data as you see fit, and the balances carry over from one billing period to another as long as your account is active.

Prepaid plan and booster prices: https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans

You will need to buy a prepaid SIM. These guys ship to both Canada and the US. The $20 intial credit is valid.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Koodo-Multi-Sim-Card-Nano-Micro-Regular-15-AIR-TIME-CREDIT-included/182949740516?hash=item2a98a77fe4:g:P4EAAOSwU91aX7Nh

When you close your post-paid account, any tab balances will be due on the final bill.
how do I take out sim card?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
how do I take out sim card?

Depends on the phone. You may have to look up the appropriate manual online.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I had no intention of roaming while here. It is a bit of an age issue. I shut my phone off. Do I still get roaming charges? I looked into my settings on my phone. There is no roaming on off option. I understand that Bell would charge for roaming in the USA. But I could actually reach then for support. I appreciate all your assistance but I'm guessing, and I could be wrong, that there is no one here talking to me over 60. I would ask you to go onto Koodo self help and search for taking your phone to USA and shutting off roaming. I should not have to have left it at home or have to take out sim card.
Which iPhone do you have? Can you go something like this?
Setting > Mobile > Mobile data options > Data roaming > off
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You don't have to take out the SIM card, as incoming texts are free while roaming. Sometimes, you would want to have some connection.

There is no option for roaming on/off on the phone, you would have to control at the account level (this is true for many other carriers). Koodo had a page on the roaming for postpaid, you could find some of the questions/answers here (easyroam or pay per use) https://www.koodomobile.com/help/easy-roam
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you have turned the phone OFF, you will NOT be charged roaming fees.