Koodo Community
Question

KOODO NEWS: The iPhone 5C and 5S are coming!

Show first post

105 replies

Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...Smartphones outsold dumb phones for the first time in the 2nd quarter of this year. That fact alone tells me koodo's bread and butter is not android. Further, the Cdn smartphone market is fairly close to split into thirds with bb, iOS and droid. So, based on macro numbers, are you telling me that Koodo bucks the trend of 16% of phones being sold being droid (that's new phones, not counting those already in service for 2-4 years) by more than 35%?
Userlevel 2
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...There isn't an android that isn't a smart phone though. So how can you say that Android isn't Koodo's bread & butter when Koodo barely has 1 non-smart phone? Overall, the sales generally go Android, iPhone, Blackberry.
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...Right, so follow along with what I said again: Smartphones are 50% of sales as of Q2 of THIS year. Android= 33% of the 50% that ARE smartphones Apple= 33% of the 50% that ARE smartphones BB= 33% of the 50% that ARE smartphones Therefore I can conclude that the Canadian marketplace at a macro level goes like this: 50% non smart 17.5% Android 17.5% Apple 17.5% BB For NEW sales. Looking back to 4 years ago, Smartphones were in the 20% range for share of phones being sold. Don't you think those phones are still active? Based on that, I'd say macro sub base is close to 60 non smart, 12/12/16 (BBs were the dominating force, and only lost their 50% smartphone share in the last 2 years). My Mom kept her last flip phone for 8 years. My old dumbphone from work was only allowed to be upgraded every 5 years. Those phones still exist.
Userlevel 2
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...They don't exist for Koodo, is the point here. Sure, some carriers may provide them, but most carriers nowadays only have smartphones. Smartphones aren't just restricted to touchscreen either. And where are you pulling YOUR numbers from? Seeing as how most Canadian providers don't even offer non-smartphones.
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...1) Name a Cdn provider that does NOT offer a dumbphone 2) http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/14/gartner-q2-smartphone/ 3) In addition, I object to Paul's statement that "more ppl buy entry level storage options than any other size" A full 20% of iPhone buyers bought 64 gig 4s http://bgr.com/2013/01/16/iphone-5-sales-projection-analysis-292214/
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...rogers sells 5 dumbs, telus 2, bell 3, koodo 1
Userlevel 2
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...I'm interested to know what you consider as a non-smartphone. Oh and just to prove something: Android: 79% marketshare. So where are you pulling the numbers that non-smartphones are being outsold when compared to smart phones?
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...I quoted my sources... where are you getting 79% Android share? Your house?
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...This is from June 2013. http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/06/17/report-blackberry-has-about-30-market-share-in-canada-grabs-second-place-ahead-of-android/ According to it, BB outsells Android. 76% my arse. I'll even be nice and give you this one from March 2013 that says Droid is 40% of smartphones... With only 65% of phones in Canada being Smart. http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/03/04/comscore-android-now-has-40-smartphone-market-share-in-canada/
Userlevel 2
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...Take a look at the 2nd picture of the first article you linked.
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...There is only one picture. I still haven't seen anything concrete on your 79% number... Here are some more facts... Telus claims 7.7 million subscribers (http://about.telus.com/investors/annualreport2012/investor_overview/2012_highlights/financial_and_operating_highlights/) out of the total market of 22 million http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/03/04/comscore-android-now-has-40-smartphone-market-share-in-canada/. I assume Koodo is lumped in there as I cant find anything to break them out specifically. So Telus as a whole is 35% of the Cdn market. Lets further assume that your Android share number is for Koodo only, and that they are around 1.2-1.5 million of of Telus's number. So that is 1.5*.79 for a total of 1.185 million Droid users on Koodo (only leaving 315,000 other people using iOS, BB, and dumb phones) Now from the most beneficial numbers I quoted above, Droid is max 40% of SMARTPHONE share in Canada. Smartphones are only 65% share in Canada, so Droid would be .4x.65= 26% total or 5.72 million. We established that Koodo, with your number, is 1.185 droid of 22 million subscribers in Canada. That is a stunning market share of 20.7% of the entire Droid population of Canada on one small budget carrier which has a subscriber base around 6.8% of the total pie. Clearly Koodo is punching above its weight! Now, does it make a lick of sense to you, with your 79% share number, that Koodo would be even bothering to launch iPhone, visual voicemail, specific BB and iPhone plans for only 21% of their base? The only thing I might agree with that was said earlier is around Paul's comment that Droid is Koodo's bread and butter... and only on this point. iOS is about 65% of the mobile web traffic in the US (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/05/07/apples-ios-widens-lead-over-android-in-us-mobile-web-traffic) with a 40% market share (http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/06/apples-iphone-holds-40-share-of-us-smartphone-market) so essentially Droid users use less data. So Droid customers are paying for data they don't seem to use.
Userlevel 2
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/14/gartner-q2-smartphone/screen-shot-2013-08-14-at-09-04-59/
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...Please tell me you don't do forecasting for a company I own stock in... That's one quarter. Q1 of 2013 is here. http://blogs.strategyanalytics.com/WSS/post/2013/04/26/Global-Smartphone-Shipments-Reach-210-Million-Units-in-Q1-2013.aspx 33.1% android. We will see what the whole year brings. Also, last I checked Koodo was in Canada where droid is 33%. So again, how is droid their bread and butter?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...Android is the market leader with a very large amount of the market share and growing every day and everyone knows it other than you Jerry. Your #s are so far off its comical and evident your a delusional iPhone fan sir. Also what I stated was Koodo's bread and butter but you keep brining facts that have nothing at all to do with koodo just Canada in general which are not true #s in the slightest. Also your reading into apple paid for surveys which Web traffic #s are based on ads which on Android we don't see ads most of the time because we have ad blockers so that entire survey is skewed towards apple from the get go. You keep listening to Apple and the way they manipulate weak minded naive ppl. I can prove they do this in so many ways it's ridiculous but I'm not going to take the time as I have much better things to do including continuing research for my website dedicated to mobile devices. Another factor of sales let alone #s of devices sold is the profit margins which iPhones have the lowest profit margin of any phone any carrier carries which helps lead credence to my statement but you seem to have missed that in your fabrication of #s from the clouds lol. Oh and one more thing your #s are from mobile syrup which is a site I've found to be wrong many times so to say you have creditable facts and quote them takes a little more away from your argument. Oh and the article you linked last yeah, the 33% is Samsung's market share alone if you read it right not Android. Either way that # isn't right either as Samsung alone has more market share than that right now.
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...So you can read numbers? Yes, I messed that up. It was 75% share across the world. The world where many people can't afford iPhones. Not Canada where they can, and where last I checked Koodo is. My numbers are also shared on many other blogs and sites. If you have better numbers I'd love to see them. But you don't. All you have is your opinion that my NUMBERS are wrong. Show me some proof. I'm no fanboy of any platform (except my irrational love of BB), but who is the fanboy here? The guy that quotes surveys and links to articles, or the one that just says the numbers are wrong and I'm too good to bother to correct you and calls everyone that disagrees a fanboy?
Badge +4
Exactly my point! They can manage to add a sku for colour choices, but can't add some for storage...Fast forward to Q2, 2013 results. Samsung - the world’s largest mobile phone vendor by shipments, revenue and profit, is the clear leader of the huge global Android smartphone market. No shocker there. Interesting side note. Global smartphone industry revenues rose +38% annually during Q2 2013. Samsung and Apple dominate the industry by both volume and value. Sony held third place, increasing +31%, driven by increased 3G and 4G smartphone volumes.
Userlevel 1
Apples nuts for how much they want for these phones. The ic is supposed to be a budget type of phone but the price is ridiculous.
Userlevel 2
Apples nuts for how much they want for these phones. The ic is supposed to be a budget type of ph...Apple knows it can get away with the insane prices. Phones MAYBE cost $200 to make(maybe $250, this is just an estimate) the rest of it is markup to make a profit. The only way that will change is people stop buying all things iApple.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Apples nuts for how much they want for these phones. The ic is supposed to be a budget type of ph...Apple never called it a Budget phone. Only the media did
Userlevel 1
Apples nuts for how much they want for these phones. The ic is supposed to be a budget type of ph...Yeah I suppose that's true.
Will you have the 64GB 5s model?
Userlevel 2
Will you have the 64GB 5s model?Don't count on it. Koodo has never sold the higher capacity Iphones.
Will you have the 64GB 5s model?That sucks, I was hoping to use my tab for it.
Userlevel 2
Will you have the 64GB 5s model?You could bring over an unlocked one.
Will you have the 64GB 5s model?yeah, it's already ordered, I was just willing to cancel my order to get it here directly.