Koodo Community

Community

Just want Wifi calling

Want wifi calling function

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just download any of the many apps available from the AppStore.
Userlevel 2
Bernard wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding the original poster's suggestion. They're suggesting an idea where Koodo introduces WiFi calling as a feature that's included in all postpaid monthly plans. WiFi calling is not a feature that's offered through apps. Calling through apps like Skype is simply VOIP. WiFi Calling is a feature that's offered by the cellular service provider. Koodo's competitor Rogers, Bell, Fido and Virgin Mobile all offer WiFi calling for iPhone and Android users on their respective networks. Meanwhile TELUS and Koodo both still don't support this feature and it would be nice if Koodo and TELUS roll out the feature sometime within the coming months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

Hmmm....donyounthinknhe meant wi-fi assist? To use when network signal is maybe weak? I'm scratching my head a little because you are still paying for those calls or it's eating into your minutes. If one used an app like viber, whatsup then it avoids that, so why wouldn't prefer to do that? Especially for overseas calls.
Userlevel 2
Bernard wrote:

No, I'm really certain he didn't mean WiFi assist. WiFi assist allows you to use your phone and tether it to your computer or other wireless device to give it internet access and that's not what the original poster was asking about. WiFi calling, which the original poster is asking for as a suggestion, allows a user to make phone calls over a WiFi network even in areas with low cellular network coverage to no coverage at all. With WiFi calling, the user can place calls over the WiFi network just the same way that they would place a normal phone call on their cell phone over the cellular network. Both iOS and Android support WiFi calling but it's up to the service provider (Koodo, TELUS, etc.) to enable the feature from their end in order for the end user to be able to use WiFi calling. WiFi calling doesn't require an app to be installed in order to place calls when connected over WiFi.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard wrote:

@Daniel Lui
  Wi-Fi assist as implemented on the iPhone switches the data radio from using Wi-Fi to cellular data, if the Wi-Fi signal strength drops. It has nothing to do with tethering or hotspots.

However, your description of Wi-Fi calling is bang on the money, and would be a valuable addition to Koodo's service, as it would address all those individuals posting about poor cellular service at their frequented locations (home, work, etc.). I, too wish the Telus group of carriers would implement this useful tool.

@Bernard
  Here's a description of Wi-Fi calling. As Daniel Lui states, it needs to be implemented by the carrier. ATM, Rogers and Bell have implemented this service.

Userlevel 2
It's been a week and I'm curious to know this post hasn't been updated to show whether or not it's being considered for future implementation. Sure, the original post doesn't have much detail but Wi-Fi calling is a really useful feature and all Koodo subscribers with devices capable of supporting WiFi calling would greatly benefit from having this feature enabled by TELUS and Koodo. Koodo's competitors Fido and Virgin Mobile have it and it's time for Koodo to follow suit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DanielLui1 wrote:

It's been a week and I'm curious to know this post hasn't been updated to show whether or not it'...

Well, after a few rounds of trying to find the right people, it seems at this point, this article is the closest answer to the question above: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus/telus-extend-ios-wifi-calling/ Not the one you expected I'm sure, but Koodo alone won't be able to make this happen.
Userlevel 2
DanielLui1 wrote:

It's been a week and I'm curious to know this post hasn't been updated to show whether or not it'...

Oh wow. That's unfortunate to see that Koodo isn't planning to consider the idea of implementing WiFi calling. It's unfair that Bell and Rogers along with their subsidiary carriers Fido and Virgin Mobile have WiFi calling support enabled on their respective networks but TELUS and Koodo seem to be dragging their feet with regards to working on enabling WiFi calling. What's even worse is that TELUS is wasting it's time developing a WiFi calling app (TELUS Extend), which is only available for TELUS select TELUS customers and is currently still in beta, when they should be spending time trying to figure out how to enable native system integrated WiFi calling from iOS / Android. Rogers recently even stopped accepting new signups for its WiFi calling app, Rogers One Number because they enabled proper WiFi calling. TELUS and Koodo need to work harder to get this feature enabled on the network.
DanielLui1 wrote:

I am now seriously considering changing my provider ONLY because of this feature. Cell reception is awful at our home. Our friends even complain about no reception while standing at our bay window with their phones pressed against the glass. Telus/Koodo are fools for not getting on board. Its not the wifi calling that is the main issue, its the Wifi SMS texting that is switching my family's 5 phones from Koodo. Good-bye Koodo.
Userlevel 6
DanielLui1 wrote:

Try going into your network settings, and turning off GSM/WCMDA/LTE, setting it to GSM/WCDMA only.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are 2 sides to every coin. Under the carrier-implemented wifi calling schemes, you pay that carrier’s rates for long distance, roaming etc. A nice integrated package that preserves the carrier’s revenue stream, basically geared towards the iPhone (and not Android), because iOS already has some wifi hooks for short or mutimedia messaging.

What’s the point of having wi-fi calling? You have to decide what your real needs are. In my case, I live in a rural area with spotty cell coverage due to accidents of terrain. Perfect reception at the foot of the property but almost none in my home office. My home line is VoIP with CallCentric — and anything incoming on that line gets forwarded to my cell, which is Android. 

At Chad Burr’s suggestion, I installed Zoiper on my phone, and registered my cell with CallCentric. Now I can call from my cell anywhere that has wifi without incurring any roaming charges (with Koodo I can’t roam at all since I’m on prepaid) or paying the stiff cell long distance rates. My VoIP bill is less than $10 US per month, including home phone service, forwarding and wifi calling. Suits me just fine.

Sure, the VoIP involves a separate phone number, but that’s the one I give out to everyone. VoIP does not currently support SMS, but the call handling features are light years ahead of anything easily available in mobile.

YMMV.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

There are 2 sides to every coin. Under the carrier-implemented wifi calling schemes, you pay that...

@BobTheElectrician,
   Some VoIP suppliers are now offering SMS pass-through, at least on some exchanges. VoIP.ms offers Halifax numbers with SMS availability.