Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is there anyways on How to stop over usage data charges. ?

I have multiple phone lines myself and family kids. We all use Apple products iPhones all different models. We each have the canafa unlimited calling texting. I had 1 GB data upgraded to 2GB now last month went up to 3GB due to major over usage charges. Other phones same issue. Is there anyway at all to stop over usage like after the 3 GB data blocked ? Or when when say one of my kids reach limit and have shock free data and they get the text from Koodo data limit reached text ok to turn back on for over usage charges etc etc etc..... Is there anyway that I am only one who can approve the data being turned back on for over usage charges after shock free data limit reached? Or even if data limit reached before new bling period that data is just suspended? More for other lines for family for kids lines that I can only allow this cause these data charges are too much. This bill has 190 over usage charges on one line Blocking data is no help especially if your in no wifi zone or a pass worded only. Anyone please help cause I love Koodo !!! Was with Bell for years and wS not happy with th but was able to control it better with options and or had an unlimited data plan it was costly. Again pleasehelp me!!....

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is the account under your name Melissa?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The new shock free plans should stop data once the limit is reached.  However, the text that asks if you want to continue and incur overage is always sent to the line that is at the limit and not to the line that belongs to the account holder.

Marketplace on CBC did an episode about this:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-data-charges-minors-1.3495865
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

The new shock free plans should stop data once the limit is reached.  However, the text that...

And one of the top voted comments was: [i]"I am not condoning what the cos do but it is not their job to mind your kids. Teenagers are smarter and more intelligent that the credit that they are given. They know exactly what they are doing in such simple circumstances." That said we continue to look for ways to help people manage their expenses.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

The new shock free plans should stop data once the limit is reached.  However, the text that...

I agree with that comment wholeheartedly.  
Teach your kids.  If they failed to comply, take the phone away.  A phone is a privileged, not a right.  
Dennis wrote:

Ohhhhh Holc on lol I was more using it as s. Example with the kid/ teenager like if there was a way for one person to have the control / authority or make the change to yes turn dats back on with over usage charges etc I want to know Ic there is s way or similar..... Other then the texts revived from Koodo which are not always on time or accurate I have previously gone over limit days later text came you are 90% data used up etc lol. I don't always have time go through each data status daily weekly but I should have explained different it's actually s. Adult who has used this the kids teens doing good. Also not understanding how we she is using so much even myself we have wifi home and where we are during week there are places daily we are without big majority rigi is used we both have most every app in data settings selected off on data usuage only ones selected find my iPhone settings phone contacts are always in mail find friends Google etc only on when I use then turn off right after and still burning dats. Koodo says they can't see Specifically What exactly what of where is using it. But I do agree with all kids are parents responsibility 100^!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Go to Settings>Cellular

It should show which app is using data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Make sure Wi-Fi assist is turned off in Settings. Also, you can see which apps are using the data in Settings > Cellular. Just do a reset at the beginning of your data period (or any time you wish really) to see what apps use data over some time period of your choosing.

Koodo really has no common / shared accounts; you can have up to 5 under the same billing number, but the accounts are really still individualized accounts.

BTW, 3GB is a lot of data to consume without realizing the basic usage occurring!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't have an iPhone so have no access to their App store, but someone who does could point out a text forwarding app that might be useful since they are common on Android.

Install the app on all phones., Then any text that comes thru from Koodo get automatically flagged and forwarded to the account owner's phone. At least there will be some fair warning rather than major grief after the fact.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I don't have an iPhone so have no access to their App store, but someone who does could point out...

The only solution I have seen is to install IFTTT (If This, Then That) as described in this thread on the Telus Neighbourhood.  Apple considers it a privacy breach to automatically forward unread SMS or Messages to another user without the original user's intervention.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I don't have an iPhone so have no access to their App store, but someone who does could point out...

To be alert of your data usage set you data usage so you don't go over . it alert you when you're getting close your qouter
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Indeed we can't see exactly what you or anyone else is browsing the internet for or what apps they are using. This to protect your personal privacy.

Right now, as Denis mentioned notifications go to the user. I see that the line ending with 55 is the one with overages. I reset the account and will be blocked when the data runs out. She will get a text message that says she is out of data for the month. This doesn't meant she won't be able to turn it back on but she will will have to do against your advice.