Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is the prepaid simcard for Iphone 4/5s the same? Does a phone locked to telus work with a koodo sim card?

Is the Koodo prepaid sim card the same for iPhone 4/5s? I have an iPhone 4 koodo prepaid sim card and I'm curious if I can use it in an iPhone 5s. Also, will a Koodo prepaid sim card work in an iPhone 5s locked through Telus (not sure if either prepaid or postpaid)? 

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The iPhone 4 uses Micro Sim where the 5s uses nano sim. If you have a tricut sim you can pop out the nano sim. If not, you'll need to purchase a new sim card.
Yes, you can use a Telus phone with Koodo.
What is a tricut sim? Do I not have another option (besides purchasing a new one)? Also, I'm planning to purchase a used phone and I'm curious if an unactivated sim would still allow me to make calls/receive messages? I'm planning to just buy a new sim card just before I meet with the seller and I don't think I have time to get it activated.. Or could I have it activated at the koodo store after I purchase it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Avery Vanderwoodsen wrote:

What is a tricut sim? Do I not have another option (besides purchasing a new one)? Also, I'm plan...

It is 3 sims in one and you pop off each layer depending on what size you need.
The only other option would be to find a store with a sim cutting tool.
An unactivated sim will do nothing for you.
You could buy a sim beforehand and activate beforehand and bring that with you.
Userlevel 6

What is a tricut sim? Do I not have another option (besides purchasing a new one)? Also, I'm plan...

Koodo does not have a prepaid tri cut sim, that is only on postpaid sims. That would be a great idea though. Avery, I recommend visiting a Koodo Shop and purchase a prepaid nano sim card. It will be $20 and you can update your sim in Kooodo Prepaid Self-Serve.

Could I have someone activate the sim card for me at the store after I purchase it or do I have to do it myself? How long would it take if I could ask the employee to do it for me? Thanks

Userlevel 6

Hey Avery, Koodo store reps won't have access to your account to change your prepaid sims, you would have to change your sim through Koodo Self Serve or by calling in.

I'm not sure what you mean by change the prepaid sims? I am just going to buy a new sim card and use that to test out the used phone. I'm just curious if I could have someone at the store activate the sim card for me (I don't need to change anything) instead of doing it myself as I will meet with the seller shortly after. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You would need to activate the new SIM in your Self serve by updating the SIM number in the appropriate area of the Self serve site (change phone section). This swill make the new SIOM active on your account & ready for use. If I recall, you would need to buy a third SIM if you chose not to buy the phone, as prepaid SIM cannot be re-authorized.  

Could you please send a link or something like that that will show me how to do this? I just need to make sure I have a sim I can try out before I meet with the seller. What do you mean by the prepaid sim not being re-authorized? If I end up not buying the phone, couldn't I keep the sim card and use it for another iPhone 5 (if I eventually find one and assuming the phone is locked to either Telus, Koodo or unlocked)? 

Okay so to clarify, I could only have 1 prepaid sim number attached to my account? That's probably why i got confused as to what you meant by changing prepaid sims. 

Userlevel 6

Yes, you can use the Prepaid Nano Sim to any other iPhone 5/5S/SE. I would also check the IMEI to see if the phone your about to buy has been reported lost/stolen You can use think to find out: https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can ask to meet the seller at a Koodo shop to try their phone with an active SIM there.

Thanks. I changed my sim card on my current account. I'd like to know if I can still get the 100 free minutes and the $20 activation that I can put towards renewing the plan? I purchased the new sim card and the last time I did that I was about to get $20 towards purchasing the base plan. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The 100 free min is for when you set up pre auth payments and the $20 is an activation credit. If you created a new account than you would have access to both of these, but as you used it on your current account you cant get either.

Crap I didn't know that.. Is there any way I could reactivate it using another account? I asked the employee about it and he said I could still get the activation credit. Does the price of the koodo prepaid sim card vary depending on whether the sim card is activated with a new or different account? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nope, it is always $20, just they give you a credit if you are using to activate a new prepaid account.