Koodo Community
Question

Is my Bell Iphone 4s unlockable?

I've got an iphone 4s locked to Bell. im just wondering if it is unlockable so that i can use it on the koodo network. also, if it is unlockable, how much does it cost to get it unlocked?

12 replies

Yep you're phone is unlockable however don't expect to be able to use it right off the bat. Iphone unlock is very different then you're standard phone (Android, Windows Phone, BB OS7/10 and Dumbphones). Now assuming you do not own Bell anything for the phone you may unlock the Phone by contacting Bell customer service I'm not sure how much it is, but I know its $35 for Koodo/Telus and $50 for Fido/Rogers maybe Bell is the same ballpark. The other choice is getting it unlocked truth variety of 3rd party services. I got mine unlocked via GSMLibery which I used for many other phones in past. But I ended up forking out $150 so not the wisest choice for unlocking 4S and waiting 2 weeks for it to unlock. Now back to why iPhones unlock differently. Instead of you manually entering the unlock code and being free Apple makes unlocking a bit of pain in the ass, during the unlock process the carrier or 3rd party company sends a request to Apple and then after 5-10 days the phone is unlocked from Apple database making it cross carrier compatible and unlocked. All you will need to do is connect you're phone to iTunes for it to update the physical code in your phone telling it that its no longer locked to Bell. Hope that helps.
Userlevel 4
Yep you're phone is unlockable however don't expect to be able to use it right off the bat. Iphon... Disregard what 29x9 said, iPhone unlocks are instaneous. Just call Bell are they will transfer you to the approximate department and charge you a $50 dollar fee that they will bill to your credit card. Within 5 minutes you will receive a email from Bell. Then you can then connect to iTunes backup and restore the phone and you will get a message saying Congratulations your iPhone is Unlocked, on your computer. Or if you have a Sim from another provider just pop it In your iphone, and the iphone will shut off reboot and restart unlocked. I did this by both methods on Bell locked iPhones, which I brought to Koodo. The only issue is you don't have a current account with Bell they may not unlock it for you.
Userlevel 6
Yep you're phone is unlockable however don't expect to be able to use it right off the bat. Iphon...Ditto. We unlocked Rogers iphones to work on koodo. No problem.
Yep you're phone is unlockable however don't expect to be able to use it right off the bat. Iphon...Justin. Did you miss the "3rd party" line in there? If you're unlocking truth a 3rd party it will take few days. How do I know this? Well because that's how I unlocked a 4S, from Bell. In regards to instance, nope. Not instance can take few days for the request to be processed from Apple side.
Userlevel 4
Yep you're phone is unlockable however don't expect to be able to use it right off the bat. Iphon...@29x9 That not what you said, You wrote that the Carrier send a request to Apple and it take 5 days. Quote "Apple makes unlocking a bit of pain in the ass, during the unlock process the CARRIER or 3rd party company sends a request to Apple and then after 5-10 days the phone is unlocked"
Yep you're phone is unlockable however don't expect to be able to use it right off the bat. Iphon...Justin. Each carrier is different I will remind you of that. It may take upto 5 days and there was a documentation of that somewhere on Apple website. Also note that the 4S is not a new phone. I got mine unlocked 2 1/2 years ago, and remember things like they were back then. Now they may have made the process simpler and faster I do not know that. And guess what rules have changed thanks to CRTC so the process may have gotten less of a pain in the ass. But moral being I offered valid information in context to the question.
Userlevel 4
Yep you're phone is unlockable however don't expect to be able to use it right off the bat. Iphon...Yeah but what I stated is up to date and accurate. I got a 4 unlocked last September, and a 5S in January that were locked to Bell, same process both times.
Yep you're phone is unlockable however don't expect to be able to use it right off the bat. Iphon...Well I honestly have no clue what changed. Who knows maybe Apples internal processing of unlocking request was changed. But it would be delayed anywhere from 1-5 days. Allot changes in 2 1/2 years.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi Bobby,

Here is some additional information, just in case. 

Koodo can’t unlock iPhones unless they were purchased through Koodo.

You will need to see if your previous carrier can unlock it.