Koodo Community
Solved

iPhone4 no service, unable to connect to Koodo network

Long post, but bear with me please! Hi, I got an iPhone 4 from koodo two days ago and it is showing no service since this morning (possibly since last night). I got the phone from a kiosk in Vancouver as well as a micro-sim, but did not set it up there as I still needed to use the old phone (for contacts and such). I got home to Whistler and changed over to the new sim via self-serve. After a few minutes the phone was working and had full signal strength. Since I had a blackberry before, I switched over the plan to the double minutes + data and looked like everything went through ok. The next day, I noticed that the signal strength will go from ful bars, to 1 bar, to none at all and the phone will start "searching" for networks. I was able to send texts, iMessage, retrieve voicemail and make calls for the most part of the day, though sometimes text messages will fail when the signal went to 1 bar. The cycle of signal strength changes would last about ten seconds then it will be full bars again for a couple of minutes. Since this was annoying me, I tried tips and tricks I found online about resetting the network settings, taking the sim out, powering on and off, but the phone still lost signal strength. I decided, as long as it came back full bars and people can contact me its fine. However, after being idle over night, my phone just says No Service. It will try searching every so often, but it has not been able to find a Koodo signal at all. I've reset the phone a couple of times already (network, full factory with "new iPhone setting"). But still no dice! I read somewhere that tech support may have to troubleshoot from their end, but since its Good Friday, they're not open for the holiday! Which means if I can't fix this problem myself, I won't be able to use my phone for THREE DAYS! Long story short, I need help! Has anyone encountered this problem before? What else can I possibly try to bring the phone to life! Thought switching from Blackberry to iPhone would be breezy, but obviously isn't.

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi jclegasto, I might be wrong... but it almost sounds like you have a faulty iPhone! If you got it recently from Koodo, you can just go back to them and exchange it for another one, or they'll have it repaired... it doesn't sound like normal behavior at all so my guess is that something is wrong with it!
Sophia wrote:

Hi jclegasto, I might be wrong... but it almost sounds like you have a faulty iPhone! If you g...

Sophia is right jclegasto, your iPhone is behaving strangely which probably means you have a faulty device.
Sophia wrote:

Hi jclegasto, I might be wrong... but it almost sounds like you have a faulty iPhone! If you g...

Oh dear, I didn't anticipate I'd have such a hard time with it. The nearest Koodo kiosk is 2 hours away. I'll try to get a hold of tech support again when they are open, but if it has to come to replacing the phone, I might have to revert back to my old phone for the meantime until I can get down to the city. Shame.
Sophia wrote:

Do you think it maybe because Koodo's signal is weak here in Whistler? I've noticed before with my blackberry that I would be connected to the Telus network at times. I tried manually selecting networks yesterday but Telus didn't come up (only Koodo, Rogers and Koodo).
Userlevel 6
Hi Joanna, we are open today, as well as Saturday, Sunday and Monday. You can reach our technical support at 1-866-995-6636 from a landline, option #6. The issue could also come from the Micro-SIM card so you might have to go back to the Koodo store to exchange it.
Yannick wrote:

Hi Joanna, we are open today, as well as Saturday, Sunday and Monday. You can reach our technical...

I called the tech support but I got a pre-recorded holiday message. Will try again tomorrow.
Userlevel 6
Yannick wrote:

Hi Joanna, we are open today, as well as Saturday, Sunday and Monday. You can reach our technical...

It's odd! I tried and it went through. When you call from the landline, select the language and press #0 three times. Keep us updated!
Yannick wrote:

I had a similar problem. No network service even after having it set up at the kiosk. The agent told me I had to hook it up to iTunes when I got home. After doing all that, still nothing. So I decided to explore the phone by myself. Eventually I enabled 3G in the settings/general/cellular/enable 3G. Then only did I get network service which I find odd. I've posted a question concerning enabling and disabling 3G to get network service. Hopefully I will get some help because the 3G is draining my battery very quickly.
Userlevel 7
Yannick wrote:

Where did you buy your phone? The agent should have tested your phone to make sure it's working before you left the store by plugging it into iTunes his/herself (we do that here). It's just good customer service. "Enable 3G" needs to be on for you to maintain cell reception. Koodo doesn't use 2G networks, so turning off 3G will turn your phone into an iPod Touch. Cellular data can be turned off if you don't want it, though. If you're still experiencing poor battery life, try turning off your cell data, WiFi, Location services, Bluetooth, etc. when they're not in use to get better battery health and try not to use your phone like a computer - the poor battery can only handle so much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yannick wrote:

If only that was a reply I would star it Johnathan.
Userlevel 7
Yannick wrote:

Thanks! Maybe I'll delete the comment and repost it as a reply lol
Yannick wrote:

Thank you for your answer Jonathan!! You just solved my similar problem! (I had turned off 3G, as well as cellular data etc, as I was travelling in the US - the problem with no service started when I returned to Canada & my phone didn't reconnect to Koodo).