Koodo Community
Question

iPhone x screen not working Koodo refusing to help

• 19 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Hi, 

I bought a certfied pre-owned iphone X from Koodo less than 2 months ago. The screen started flicking and now is unuseable. I took the phone to Koodo and they shipped it off to applecare.. AppleCare shipped back the phone in the same state. 

Apple Care response 

The reason your product isn't working is because of unauthorized modifications that were made to it. Our warranty doesn't covers issues caused by unauthorized modifications

I called apple and spoke with a senior advisor, He could see all the history of the phone and told me the phone screen was replaced with a non apple screen 2 years ago and resold to me. 

Koodo is refusing to help me with the issue. even though their warranty states 

Certified Pre-Owned Phone Warranty

Every Certified Pre-Owned Phone purchased after November 10, 2020 includes a Certified Pre-owned warranty valid for a period of up to 1 year from the date of purchase**. We’ll cover the costs to repair any manufacturer’s defects for this period.

I was on the phone for hours and the best Koodo could offer me is $10 off my plan. They are refusing to fix my phone based off apples response. I have only had the phone for 6 weeks and I put it in a case soon as it arrived. the phone looks flawless and I have made no modifications. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So what if you made this screen modification? Koodo has no way to know if it's you or the customer before. It is unfortunate, but There is absolutely nothing we as customers can do to help you on the community.

So what if you made this screen modification? Koodo has no way to know if it's you or the customer before. It is unfortunate, but There is absolutely nothing we as customers can do to help you on the community.

Apple can and they told me they can see in their system who and where the phone was before Kodoo resold it. I always have the CRTC on my side. 

Badge +4

This matter will have to be escalated. Sounds like the previous owner installed a non-Apple replacement screen and then shipped it back to Koodo. I’ll flag a rep. The rep will likely tell you to send them a private message via Facebook Messenger. Hopefully, this situation gets resolved, asap. Keep us posted.

https://www.facebook.com/Koodo

The CCTS is also on your side.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

This matter will have to be escalated. Sounds like the previous owner installed a non-Apple replacement screen and then shipped it back to Koodo. I’ll flag a rep. The rep will likely tell you to send them a private message via Facebook Messenger. Hopefully, this situation gets resolved, asap. Keep us posted.

https://www.facebook.com/Koodo

The CCTS is also on your side.

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

I do not have facebook :( 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @hfx902 

Thanks for the report and for sharing the details of the situation!

Do you have a Twitter account to message us from? 

Badge +4

I do not have facebook :( 

You can try creating a temporary or ‘dummy’  Facebook account if that’s an option, or you will have to schedule a callback using the digital assistant (Koodo Assist).  Using #socialtech will get you to the “schedule a callback” window quicker.

Hi @hfx902 

Thanks for the report and for sharing the details of the situation!

Do you have a Twitter account to message us from? 

I do, I have sent a message off to Kodoo with my twitter account 

Update

I took the phone to the apple store and they confirmed the phone has a third-party screen.

Notes from apple

Can confirm display is third party, VHB is present and strong

Could not easily lift display, indicating remanufacturing process instead of retail non AASP display replacement.

Badge +4

Update

I took the phone to the apple store and they confirmed the phone has a third-party screen.

Notes from apple

Can confirm display is third party, VHB is present and strong

Could not easily lift display, indicating remanufacturing process instead of retail non AASP display replacement.

Has Koodo offered any solution to this matter?

Thank you for the update. If or when you receive official information from Apple, be sure to include this info when sending direct messages via Twitter to Koodo. The more info you provide, the better. Keep us posted.