Koodo Community

Community

Solved

iPhone storage usage (messages)

When I look up my storage usage for my iPhone 4s the messages are 4.5 gb of my phones storage which is crazy high. I have tried deleting texts and it doesn't go down at all. I have tried googling a bit some time ago and didn't find anything helpful. Anyone know why so large and how to reduce? It not email. It's the little green message icon. It's higher then my pics and almost as much as music for crying out loud haha

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Maybe its your emails?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have almost 1GB worth of space taken by messages. Have you tried deleting full conversations (preferable ones with lots of pictures or videos?
My email messages are under the mail portion of storage. I literally deleted more than half my full messages (like slide and delete). Is there any other way?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Try a hard reset (dont worry all your data is safe) Just hold down the Power and Home Button and continue holding until your see the Apple logo, and then release. And see if that works
Userlevel 1
There is a Message limit on Android to only allow a certain amount of messages per conversation. I only have studied Apple devices through my Ipod so I wouldn't know if there was a setting like this. If there is try dropping your message limit to a lower number. Dennis and one of the mobile masters can confirm if there is this setting since they probably have studied Iphones better.
Hard reset did nothing 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Then I would advise backing up your iphone to itunes and delete all your messages and seeing if that helps. If not, then restore the messages back. You may want to talk to Apple as well. They probably have a better idea
they have been deleted.... I read an earlier post that this was a bug that was since fixed with ios 6 or something but it was only fixed for future messages not be stored permanently on the phone and only way to get previous before fix messages that were auto stored to phone with no way to delete is to completely delete phone like new and start fresh.. FML
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Try back up your phone, wiping it and start from new. Then try restoring just the messages. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/03/06/how-to-back-up-restore-sms-messages/