Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Iphone data usage problem......where is the data being used ?

How do you determine what is being used Data, I bought a iphone 4 and hooked it up to prepaid. and added data booster so when I need to use data outside the home, its available. I've noticed it online and its saying im using data but I don't think I've used it outside the home yet, Its hooked to my internet wifi here. Is there programs on the phone that allow it to use data....Its only 5mb's used so far for 4 days of service, but that can add up if it keeps going.... If theres programs you know of that I can shut it off, can you inform me? Im new to this iphone stuff! any help would be greatful!

14 replies

Userlevel 7
5MBs in 4 days? That's absolutely amazing!!! There is no problem with your phone. But to close background apps that may use data, double tap the home button and press and hold one of the apps at the bottom until they giggle with X's and hit the x's to close them Also, just letting you know that iPhone are only connected to WiFi when they are "awake(the screen is on). When the phone is "asleep"(the screen is off) then WiFi automatically turns off and data turns on. This is how the iPhone was designed and there's no way to change that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

5MBs in 4 days? That's absolutely amazing!!! There is no problem with your phone. But to close ba...

They don't have a setting so that wifi stays on even when the screen is off? That sucks, why the hell would they not make that an option in settings like on Android?
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

5MBs in 4 days? That's absolutely amazing!!! There is no problem with your phone. But to close ba...

Unfortunately not. I know, I don't understand it either but meh. PS please leave the apple bashing out (in case you were gonna come back and say "oh wow iphones...*insert comment here*" 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

That sucks I couldn't deal with that, I have my Note 2 set to stay on because then I don't have to keep touching the screen to keep the phone on when I'm downloading multiple large files like TV Shows or Movies. I like that I can put my phone down & leave it for ten minutes while it's downloading. Couldn't deal with not being able to do that Sorry iPhone your not for me I guess
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

I've personally set my phone so that the screen doesn't turn off unless I actually hit the lock button at the top. It was never because of the WiFi issue but it def does help
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Well, if your data (3G) is turned off, your wifi will automatically stay on if it's being used by a program for downloading, streaming, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Are you talking about the iPhone? The screen won't shut off if your downloading something or it will but it will continue downloading with the screen off?
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

I've never tried what Rob has mentioned but Kid, the screen will turn off if you leave it the settings the same as factory set. I changed mine to only turn off the screen when I hit the lock button. Otherwise, after probably like 10-15 secs, the backlight dims and then the screen goes "off" REGARDLESS of a download in progress. I think Robert is saying if you have data off and WiFi on, that even if you turn the screen off it will continue using data *IF* you're downloading, streaming something. I personally haven't tried this so I don't know if it's true
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Yes I was talking about the iPhone and Ahmad is right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

cool Ok, just trying to soak in some iPhone knowledge Thanks
Userlevel 5
A Wi-Fi lock application may help
Userlevel 7
HippieLongstocking wrote:

A Wi-Fi lock application may help

Do they actually exist for iPhone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Glen, Your iPhone is set-up so it gets push notifications.What are those? It's when your device accesses the mail server for example to see if new message have arrived. What are the pros and cons? Pros : Gets your mail exactly when the person sent it Cons : Uses data and battery because it's constantly asking the server for new messages. But it doesn't use as much data as you mentionned. So in your case, there might be some other things running in the background. May I suggest you this site : www.ifans.com It's full of people knowing more about apple products and how to reduce the usage of data by bacground apps. If you have any other questions, don't be shy. Ask them! PS: What you could do to use less background data is to turn data OFF while you don't use it Settings>General>Cellular>Cellur data OFF
Thanks Robert, I turned the Data off, and when I want to use it, I will turn it back on! hopefully that helps! 🙂 I don't use the phone like "most" people do, as I prefer the computer but when your out in a car, or out somewhere and you need to get that email you forgot, is why I bought the data! 🙂 Im going to check out that website too!