Feedback
iphone blasting through data. | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Question

iphone blasting through data.

• 3 September 2021
  • 3 replies

My data skyrocketed for zero reason. My phone blasted through 1gb of data in less than 10 minutes while attached to wifi (wifi assist turned off) It also chews through data despite shutting my data off in settings. is this an ios issue? Or can it be fixed? 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you check your data usage in your phone and your selfserve to see which app used it? Also check the timestamp of the data usage report in selfserve. Sometimes, you might have used data in other place.

Wifi isn’t always good, in some cases of wifi outage, the phone could automatically switch to cellular (wifi assist didn’t help in that case). I recommend you block data usage of some apps or just turn off cellular data if you are at home.

Could you check your data usage in your phone and your selfserve to see which app used it? Also check the timestamp of the data usage report in selfserve. Sometimes, you might have used data in other place.

Wifi isn’t always good, in some cases of wifi outage, the phone could automatically switch to cellular (wifi assist didn’t help in that case). I recommend you block data usage of some apps or just turn off cellular data if you are at home.

This was a sudden issue. Usage habits and averages have not changed over 6 months. The data usage statistics on the device do not accurately reflect the amount being used. “System services” was the highest contributor in the provided statistics. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I guess I should rephase my question differently, did the Koodo usage show you used 1GB in 10 minutes? Althogh there could be some delay between Koodo reporting system and actual usage,  it should be within 1-3 hours (from my own experience).

If system service showed up, it could be Push Notifications, Time & Location, iTunes Accounts, Software Updates, Mapping Services, Messaging Services, Security Services, Networking, Documents & Sync.. Did you share files or someone shared file with you via photos or icloud recently? You could also disable the cellular data usage for system service in settings.