Koodo Community

Community

Solved

iPhone back up to computer using up data on Koodo plan?

I have two iPhones a 4 and a 5s on my plan. For some reason whenever we back up the 4s to the laptop it uses all the data allowed for the month. It doesn't use the free wifi at home? Can someone shed some light on this?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The only reason I can think of that the iPhone is not connected properly to WiFi. You should probably "forget" the WiFi connection manually, and then reconnect to trigger it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

The only reason I can think of that the iPhone is not connected properly to WiFi. You should prob...

And turn off data when you are backing up, just in case
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

The only reason I can think of that the iPhone is not connected properly to WiFi. You should prob...

Your phone also uses data over wifi sometimes when the data connection is stronger than the wifi signal. Like Dennis said, turn off your wifi just in case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Another reason why that might happen is that your phone, when it connect to the computer, connects to your personal hotspot via USB. That happened to me once. Be sure that your personal hotspot is turned off.
Badge +4
Yet another possibility and I think you're referring to the 5s, is that Wi-Fi Assist may be enabled. This feature is enabled by default from the factory. To disable Wi-Fi Assist. Go to Settings > Cellular. Then scroll down and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205296
Thank you all for your assistance and will keep you posted - Jaws