Koodo Community

Community

Solved

iPhone 5S running on IOS 9.2 consumes data even when mobile data & roaming are turned off - as per Koodo

I turned off my mobile data and roaming after boarding the flight to US. But still I was charged 5$ for Data usage. How does mobile send data when mobile data & roaming are turned off?

Below snapshot shows that I didn't use any data but still I was charged.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello. Are you sure it was closed? When data is closed there's no way you can use data when it's turned off. Maybe it's a mistake you made?
Koodo Customer care says, "mobile will consume data even when mobile data and roaming are turned off" - Just spoke to them.

Their website shows I used 0.00 MB of data. Their customer care people are saying, I used 0.049 MB of data. 

I turned 'OFF' my mobile data on 25th of Dec and turned it 'ON' on 31st of Dec when I was in Canada. But as per statement, I used data on 26th of Dec - How was it possible ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There has been a bunch of 1X data leakage onto phones while in or near the US lately, even if data is turned off. Might your bill be for 1X data in the US? Seems a recurring problem. Some 1X data is on the 2G network, which is not an issue in Canada, but when we take our phones to the US, it seems to connect, rather than being blocked. The small amounts of data suggest some sort of handshake is happening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

There has been a bunch of 1X data leakage onto phones while in or near the US lately, even if da...

Koodo could make a people happy about this issue by just ignoring single data sessions of less than 100k. But since it's a roaming issue, I suspect Koodo is getting a bill from the local carrier and won't have first-hand control over the original charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I've been in the US many time and not once have I been charged data leakage. I was with an iPhone. Maybe it is a problem, but when data is off, it should be off. Very strange there's leakage happening.

RD SRIRAM, I hope CS credited you the 5$. If you don't want this to happen again, remove the SIM card from your phone. 
Two words. Airplane mode. I never leave Canadian soil without turning that on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Elly Song wrote:

Two words. Airplane mode. I never leave Canadian soil without turning that on.

Some of need to be available for important calls from family or others, so turning our phones off is not an option.