Koodo Community

Community

iPhone 4 says no service

Userlevel 1
driving me insane. my iphone 4 keeps saying searching, then says no service, no matter where i am. i took the sim card out and put it back in. i tried rebooting it. i checked to make sure all things were set to on that should be.. NOTHING.... soon gonna jump on it... HELP ME PLSSSSS, whats wrong with my phone?

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
is 3G enabled?
Userlevel 6
Thats actually easy to fix. All you need is to go to settings > general > cellular > make sure 3G and Data is on.
Erwin wrote:

Thats actually easy to fix. All you need is to go to settings > general > cellular > make sure 3G...

But my phone has always worked even when the 3G was off! Now all of a sudden its not. 3G KILLS my battery life. Any other suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

Thats actually easy to fix. All you need is to go to settings > general > cellular > make sure 3G...

Your phone could not have worked with the 3G off since Koodo does not have a 2G network and also has no roaming agreements with Rogers, which owns the only Canadian 2G GSM network.
Erwin wrote:

I dunno, it was fine until I turned it on yesterday when I lost internet. Its back up today so I thought I'd turn it back off and it keeps saying no service. All my friends with the same service provider and phone have their 3G off and its working.
Userlevel 7
Erwin wrote:

You mean they have - data- turned off. That's different. 3G is just the network it uses. Without it, you have an iPod touch.
Erwin wrote:

their cellular data and 3G are off. And I know the difference between an iPod and an iPhone, I own both.... thanks for your help anyways guys!
Userlevel 2
Erwin wrote:

3G = voice/text service. Cellular data = mobile data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

Let me be the 4th person, and the second tech support rep to tell you that no hspa phone will EVER connect to Koodo if it is set to 2G only. Seeing as the phone works when you turn 3G on and stops working when you turn it off, which of us do you think is right?
Erwin wrote:

Hey I am not doubting you guys I'm just confused why it worked all this time without it on that's it. But thank everyone for all your help.
Userlevel 2
Erwin wrote:

If you used it on Koodo, then it needed to have 3G turned on. It's as simple as that.
Erwin wrote:

So I had this problem with my Iphone4 and fixed it!!!!!!! Easy Peasy....Took it to Koodo kiosk and they were not able to fix it. I then took it to Iworld where they wanted $25.00 "if" they fixed it. I did not think the problem was big enough to pay someone so after much resetting, & researching online I came up with my own fix and here it is... So simple 🙂 If you have a friend or family member with the same phone and carrier ask them if you can borrow their sim card for just a minute. Put it in your phone and that should reset your phone. Take out the borrowed and put in yours and it should work. (My only problem now is it does not show my carrier as Koodo but it shows as Telus, which is weird... but my phone is working so I don't care... lol) I think Telus is showing because I went to two friends. First one had the card but his phone was not activated nor did we share the same carrier so I think his carrier got caught up in the mix on my phone, the 2nd had the same carrier and phone and was activated and helped mine to reset. I hope this helps lots of you out there and you don't get stuck buying a new phone which is where I was headed... Good Luck
Erwin wrote:

Koodo is under the umbrella of Telus ..so I am told ..
Don't jump on your phone! That only works 1% of the time 😉 As mentioned before, turning 3G on should fix the problem. Under Cellular in Settings, there will be a toggle to switch it on. Also worth noting: I'm not an iPhone expert or anything, but holding down Home+Power until your phone restarts does a sort of 'hard restart.' It's cleared problems in the past for me, for some reason.
My iphone does the same from full signals to searching network and then no service. I don't change anything in the settings. Its always on 3G. I am wondering if Koodo got all the lemon iphones, because every other person is complaining the same. I have already replaced the sim card with a new one, but it did no help. Customer service is saying its now the phone issue and I should get it replace by Apple. Its hard for me to believe that. Also calls are being frequently dropped, it does not matter where I am outside, inside the house or driving on 401 in Toronto. I am seeing more dropped calls in general. Koodo Can you please let us know what is really going on. Because I am so tired and getting frustrated by speaking level 1 technical support telling me that there is no issue with the network and they are not getting any dropped calls from the area I am calling in to register a complaint. All I am getting is to switch off the phone and turn it back on. What is going on please ? I am afraid to use my iphone to make any important calls fearing it would dropped at any time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zee wrote:

My iphone does the same from full signals to searching network and then no service. I don't chang...

Is yours an iPhone 4 as well, Zee? I did noticed a higher amount of posts in these forums a few weeks ago of people with an iPhone 4 who reported the same issue. I know Koodo is aware but I flagged your post (in a good way) to alert them again 🙂
Zee wrote:

My iphone does the same from full signals to searching network and then no service. I don't chang...

My husband finally decided to replace his ancient flipphone with an iphone 4. Now, two weeks later, he gets a continual "no service" message and calls are dropped and text msgs won't go through. All his settings are identical to mine (mine is a 3G) but I can make calls and he can't. Wish we had read all the complaints before he bought the phone!
Zee wrote:

Did you call Koodo's Tech Support for assistance?
Zee wrote:

Apple replaced ot with a new phone. It was a faulty phone. After this i dont get no signal msg.
Zee wrote:

do you have a sim card in your phone
Zee wrote:

I am having the same problem as everyone else on this page. I tried to do what you've said, turning on 3G, resetting but nothing happened. I went to koodo and they told me to go to apple store but apple told me koodo has a network problem. So, I went back to koodo at South Gate and they told me it's Telus who was having a network problem and they're fixing it but it's already two weeks and until now my phone's still dead. Will koodo please help us? You're only up to date when it comes to billing but not when it comes to customer service.
Userlevel 4
Zee wrote:

That is incorrect. Keep in mind, this is NOT a direct link to Koodo. If you are expecting a prompt response here, please don't. On another note, Have you called and spoke to Koodo tech support about this? I am not aware of any outage at the moment affecting Koodo customers.
Userlevel 5
Zee wrote:

Koodo does have various outages across the country (just like every other provider would), but a lot of time tech support can fix the issue once they know about it (sometimes they cannot and they have other departments that they can go to for help with this) Posting to this page gives people a chance to help you, but Koodo tech agents can help you by looking at how YOUR phone is interacting with the network, and work from there
Userlevel 2
I'd call apple and have the phone replaced under warranty. If you still have problems, then you know it's with Koodo and not your phone.
Another good option when having this problem is to go to General/Settings/Reset/Reset Network Settings. It helps refresh the network connection.