Koodo Community
Question

iPhone 4 no service when 3G is off

I have an iPhone 4 and whenever I turn off 3G, I lose service with Koodo. My friend is alos on Koodo but has an HTC and when he turns off this 3G, he still has service with Koodo. Is this normal?

13 replies

Hello Warren, Yes it's normal.......
Is it normal to iPhone 4's? other devices can turn off 3G but still maintain service?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Turning off 3g is not the same as turning off data. If you turn off 3g on any koodo phone YOU WILL LOSE SERVICE. Koodo does not have a 2g network, Rogers is the only provider in Canada that does. If you turn off 3g service on the phone you are essentially saying "whatever you do, don't connect to koodo."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What model of HTC does your friend have and is it 4g (LTE) Compatible?
Thanks for the responses. I think I understand that 3G = data now. Its a One V. Maybe he was turning off data only?
I mean 3G =/= data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I mean 3G =/= dataIf it was a relationship, you could call it "complicated" 😃
If you want to make sure your not using data just turn cellular data to off or call koodo to do a data block in your number to prevent charges but as you have discovered turning 3G off turns the whole cellular service off
Userlevel 7
3G is the network level, the most common one nowadays. The data access used on this network is called HSDPA - it stands for high speed data packet access. On older versions of Android on some devices, the option "Use packet data" was under the Mobile Networks settings option - as such, this turned your data on/off but the actual cellular service still remainined on the 3G network.
I wasn't trying to turn off data. I wanted to turn off 3G to conserve battery but I guess I can't do that.
Userlevel 1
I wasn't trying to turn off data. I wanted to turn off 3G to conserve battery but I guess I can't...You can turn off 3g Data to conserve battery life. You can't turn off the 3G network, which the phone uses for calls/text.
Koodo uses 3G network, Advantage.... Good call quality, better reception everywhere....... Koodo will only work in Iphone 4, 4S, 5 when you will make 3G ON. Although 3G drains battery but it will increase the call quality. U can turn Data Off, when not in need..... This will definitely save a lot of battery. Iphone can work for 2 days beside 3G is on........