Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Iphone 4

I dropped my iphone 4 into the water. I hooked it up to iTunes and restored the phone. But the problem is that the phone won't turn unless I plug it in. But the phone turns on and off while it's plugged in. Is this happening because the battery is fried and damaged?

7 replies

Userlevel 6
That's impossible to tell without some testing. But you are lucky that the phone still works. I suppose you could continue to use by turning it when plugged in Thant just use it for the day. Water damage is not covered under warranty fixing it would cost a pretty penny.
Userlevel 7
:(Could be. Koodo won't cover physical damage like that by the way. apple sells battery replacements for 79.99. Or you could upgrade your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ack, Ted 😞 Possibly, yes. Actually you are lucky it works at all... I'd not monkey with it and send it in for a battery replacement or whatever Apple does with damaged phones. It might even be worth your while to upgrade to a newer phone as the iPhone 4 is generations behind now. Still it's sad that it happened, I'd quickly back up everything you have on it and then move to a new device, the iPhone 5S is pretty spiffy or so I have heard 🙂
I have already updated to the 5s, but I'm trying to see if I can salvage this phone for my daughter. Thx for you're suggestions.
Userlevel 2
Ted Harris wrote:

I have already updated to the 5s, but I'm trying to see if I can salvage this phone for my daught...

It is probably not worth salvaging because the source of the problem is unknown. It could be the battery. It's also possible that the battery is just fine, but the water dunk short-circuited some pathways on the phone's motherboard causing no current to flow. Not knowing what the problem is, you might be throwing money into a blackhole and getting nothing out of it.
Userlevel 6
Hi Ted, Im so sorry that happened to your iphone. I recommend not to use your phone because there is a chance it may short circuit. Have you bought an Apple Care +? If you did, you can get a brand new phone, just call in to Apple Customer Service.
Userlevel 7
Erwin wrote:

Hi Ted, Im so sorry that happened to your iphone. I recommend not to use your phone because th...

Even better is make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple store so they can give you one over the counter instead of waiting. While I'm not a fan of iPhones, their warranty and AppleCare+ is fantastic.