Koodo Community

Community

Question

Iphon 8 plus unlock

If I pre order Iphone 8 Plus with koodo today then after how long I can able to unlock my devise with koodo?

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can unlock it immediately. It will cost 50 dollars. If you can wait until December 1 then it will be unlocked for free.
Goran wrote:

You can unlock it immediately. It will cost 50 dollars. If you can wait until December 1 then it ...

Ok Thanks Goran for quick response 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

You can unlock it immediately. It will cost 50 dollars. If you can wait until December 1 then it ...

If your account is new and you haven't been with koodo for  more 90 days, they might deny to unlock it for you. https://www.koodomobile.com/help/unlocking-your-phone

Goran wrote:

Is it possible to upgrade my device after january 2018 from Iphon 8 plus to Iphone X ?
If yes How much it cost. I am Planning to buy Iphone 8 plus now with koodo contract. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

You'll pay full price. You're best off selling the iPhone 8 yourself, especially being only a few months old so you'll get close to what you paid for unlike if you trade it in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

It will be a tough talk for you with the Koodo agent. You might get it if you are good at talking and the agent is sympathetic.

However, you can hope for the best. Recent koodo iphone are unlocked. I am not sure all of them but my iphone 6s is unlocked already (bought in August). However, don't shoot me if yours is locked. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

You can buy from Apple, and it will come unlocked from day one.
Robert wrote:

It will be available in December 1st for Free.

I am ready to pay but I am new with koodo. So is it possible to unlock  immediately ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

It will be available in December 1st for Free.

Buy direct from Apple. It will come unlocked.
I bought an iPhone 8 from TELUS, and it came unlocked. It worked with a SIM Card from the red provider. I also read that someone's iPhone 8 that came from the blue provider worked with a SIM Card from the red provider. I think it is safe to assume that any new iPhone 8 from Koodo will also come unlocked unless someone confirms that is not the case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
giqobuco wrote:

I bought an iPhone 8 from TELUS, and it came unlocked. It worked with a SIM Card from the red pro...

What is the "red provider"?

I don't think anyone can confirm anything. If you bought an iPhone before Dec 1, 2017 and it happened to be unlocked then you were lucky.
Userlevel 6
giqobuco wrote:

I bought an iPhone 8 from TELUS, and it came unlocked. It worked with a SIM Card from the red pro...

Red being Robbers.
giqobuco wrote:

According to somebody, other providers' names shouldn't be mentioned on here.

Anyway, there is nothing lucky about it. Do you really believe both providers would make such a mistake? Considering there are less than 90 days until December 1st, they must have figured out that selling phones unlocked now is better than wasting resources locking now, and then unlocking for free after December 1st. They are not getting any unlocking fees for any phones sold after this point with their 90 days rule (though they make exceptions to that rule.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
giqobuco wrote:

It might be the case. What you say is logic, but I'd be curious to see if you were luck or if it's like this for everyone!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
giqobuco wrote:

Androids Koodo phone is still being locked, and I haven't seen reports of "unlocked" locked iphone from Rogers and Bell 🙂. Compared to those, you were lucky, I believe.

Userlevel 6
giqobuco wrote:

I've also heard of someone walking out of the Apple store with an iPhone 8 activated on Bell on a 2 yr agreement, and then flipped a Rogers SIM and worked immediately.
It's a given that carriers don't have to guarantee that phones would be unlocked prior to December 1st, so it can still be a dice roll. Mind you, it's no surprise that Apple would rather doubling the work on loading iPhone 8 onto shelves first lockable, followed by unlocked.
giqobuco wrote:

According to a blue provider representative, all Note 8 in Canada are being sold unlocked.

With Android phones, their lock status is decided at the factory. So, any phone you buy might have been locked maybe months ago when it left the factory, rather than "being locked" now.

With iPhone, the lock status is stored at Apple Servers, and providers can change it at anytime without touching the phone.

You just wrote "Recent koodo iphone are unlocked. I am not sure all of them but my iphone 6s is unlocked already (bought in August)." above.

Cory Z, why don't you tell whether your iPhone 8 Plus is unlocked or not?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
giqobuco wrote:

@dyly, please use one id to keep the conversation in context. What do you want eventually? Unlock all phone now?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
giqobuco wrote:

I can confirm that my Note 8 from Koodo is indeed locked.
giqobuco wrote:

I guess then that is another example why nobody should ever trust Bhell.