Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Incoming calls suddenly have a 011 in front of them. Not international and are in my contact list. Phone doesn't recognize them.

Userlevel 1
Today all my calls started coming in with a 011 in front of the number, even if they were in my contact list….like they were an international call. I didn't answer any of them but 2 left messages on my voicemail and they were local (Ontario) numbers. Any ideas what's going on? If I answer, am I going to get overseas rates charged? Do I have a virus?

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Ruth, I'm sure it's not all as bad as that, it doesn't sound like a virus, and you certainly won't be charged international fees (that is only for outgoing anyway). What I suspect is that a setting changed in your phone, not sure what but can you tell us what phone you have? And what app (if not the default one) you keep your contacts at?
Userlevel 1
I have an "open box" iPhone 5, was set to Telus but works with Koodo. I use the Contacts app/button that came with the phone. Because most of my contacts area code starts with 7, it is incoming as 011 7 (…) which is the country code of Kazakhstan and then the phone number is one number short BUT the call makes it through and into my voicemail. weird! I recall it just updated iOS to 7.1 and is up to date.
I also receive phone calls that start with 011 + my local area code + the first three numbers of my phone number + 4 random numbers (always different). It's always the same 9 number combination + 4 random numbers. Who is generating the calls and why?
CPepin73 . wrote:

I also receive phone calls that start with 011 + my local area code + the first three numbers of ...

I kept getting calls like these! At first it was always a person, usually the same one, and they would always say the same thing "Hi I missed a call from this number" at first I was polite, then after about the 5th one I get really pissed. Also it didn't have the 011 in front of it. Now it does. I just reported the number to the CRTC. Funny thing is, when I call the local number leaving out the 011 I get someone on the other end that has no idea what I am talking about. Were they ghosting my number, and now ghosting his? SO WEIRD
CPepin73 . wrote:

I also receive phone calls that start with 011 + my local area code + the first three numbers of ...

Same. I got one this morning. They never leave a message. I'm pretty sure it's telemarketers but I'd like to know for sure.
CPepin73 . wrote:

I have te same thing i am in Canada and my cellphone said me that the 011 come from Algerie i dont answer but it’s not the first time
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Offshore telemarketers spoofing local numbers is the most likely explanation. Using a VOIP service, you can create any phone number as the call display you wish. Their goal is to make you think it is a local call by using an area code and prefix familiar to you. They have 10,000 possibilities before they need change the prefix to another, and start in that neighbourhood.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey there Ruth Answering international call on your cellphone won't make you pay more. It will be charged as if it was a normal call!
A regular number in my contact list suddenly started coming thru my texts with two 1's in front of area code and my phone didn't recognize number. This is someone I text daily. I have AT&T and Galaxy S4.
I kept getting calls like these! At first it was always a person, usually the same one, and they would always say the same thing "Hi I missed a call from this number" at first I was polite, then after about the 5th one I get really pissed. Also it didn't have the 011 in front of it. Now it does. I just reported the number to the CRTC. Funny thing is, when I call the local number leaving out the 011 I get someone on the other end that has no idea what I am talking about. Were they ghosting my number, and now ghosting his? SO WEIRD
I keep getting calls like these daily ! They always begin with 011 + my area code + 3 same first digits as my number. Nobody ever called me saying they had a call from my number yet, or I might not have answered, thinking it was the recorded messages. When I answer, it's either "This is an important call from Hilton Hotels" or "Thank you for choosing Air Canada"

Unlocked iphone 6 plus on telus
Julie Gagnon wrote:

I keep getting calls like these daily ! They always begin with 011 + my area code + 3 same first ...

That's exactly who it would be I remember a couple months ago I got one of these. I'm wondering how we got on their mailing list and how we can or if we can block them.
Julie Gagnon wrote:

I keep getting calls like these daily ! They always begin with 011 + my area code + 3 same first ...

I got one the other day telling me I won a cruise for 4 for 2 weeks in theBahamas for being a loyal bell customer I have never owned a bell product in my name in my life before always Rogers for cable and Internet and Telus for cell and when I lived on the west cost I was telus everything not sure how that makes me loyal to bell but OK!
It hasn't happened in the last week so that's a relief. It seems to be only Koodo and telus phones
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From [b]dfbutt 6 months ago [i]Offshore telemarketers spoofing local numbers is the most likely explanation. Using a VOIP service, you can create any phone number as the call display you wish. Their goal is to make you think it is a local call by using an area code and prefix familiar to you. They have 10,000 possibilities before they need change the prefix to another, and start in that neighbourhood. There are hackers out there trying to find legitimate phone numbers whose accounts can be used to forward long distance calls to foreign countries as well. I've had the "someone from (my number here) called me" from people locally or in the USA who were obviously as bewildered as I was. This has happened with Koodo and AT&T in the US. Also had my VoIP account attacked by someone in Palestine. Call logs all showed foreign country codes, but VoIP provider automatically locked them out. Unless you have a real need for it, it's not a bad idea to lock out international long distance and roaming in self-serve.
They are callers using VoIP, when using VoIP you can mask your display number to whatever you want so when you Google to trace you get nothing in your search. Scams or telemarketer no doubt... They are generated by a computer and when a human answers(us) then it switches to one of their reps, that's why sometimes you hear nothing for 20/30 seconds when you answer... Just ignore 011 numbers imho. This is the number I got  couple of times. '011-442-071060100'
text the Number and tell them off, I'm pretty sure they get the Text
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Claude D wrote:

Claude, there is no need to revive old posts. It brings up old information to the top of the feed and sends notifcations to everyone following the feed. Thanks for your comment though
Claude D wrote:

well I still get calls from these numbers so maybe Koodo should fix, I'm sure the netwot=rk can prevent the calls
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Claude D wrote:

Claude, I'm sure that Allan meant to add that you should've created your own post if you're having the issue. Your original contribution to this thread did not specify that you had this problem.

Sadly, there's little that Koodo (or any other network) can do to fight number spoofing. If you were to call back or text the number on the display, chances are that you'll get some poor soul whose number was spoofed by spammers/scammers. I once had to deal with an obviously frustrated person calling me to demand I stop calling them. I informed them that it was not me, but they wouldn't accept my explanation and proceeded to threaten and harass me until I threatened to make a police complaint.

Claude D wrote:

they can stop VOIP calls or any call starting with 011, they apply this rule on the Network
Claude D wrote:

I notice several of my family and friends numbers on my wireless homephone through att, sometimes have 0111 in front of the area code-prefix-last four digits, of their actual phone numbers. I have also answered many times on these occasions. Every time I've spoken to the correct family member or friend whose number appeared. Why are the 0111 numbers appearing on actual ppl I know... Phone numbers. Regardless of how I have them programmed??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Claude D wrote:

Maybe they are using a VOIP program to call you, Charlene, to save cost. I wouldn't be worried if the call is from the correct party, as you said. Just one of those things 🙂
Claude D wrote:

Just got the call from
011 54-912-550-471 regarding credit card bills over 10K USD...Only recent event in past one week was an attempt to contact a cell phone in the Republic of Turkey from here in Arkansas, didn't get through to the Cell number with prefix 90, but may have set something in action over the VOIP MajicJack connection on the computer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Claude D wrote:

Call your bank. I'd never trust those calls.