Koodo Community

Community

Solved

iMessage to another country?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My question is pretty simple. I know many people asked about iMessaging from another countries and all other similar question, but I don't think mine has been asked yet. Before answering read this : when I'm at school, I close my 3G and only let my wifi open. Therefoire, after an X amount of time, my wifi closes. What if someone in the UK texts me, but he/she send the message when I'm at school and when my wifi is closed? Will she get charged for the text message since the iPhone will send the message as an text message rather than with iMessage? OR will the iPhone not send the text message unless I open my phone (which will open the wifi)

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Good question Robert, Imessage is directly operated by apple, you should configure it in your iphone, it uses 3G or Wi-Fi, Text messaging is operated by Koodo it does not use Data or Wi-Fi, Imessage allows you to send texts, photos, videos, contact information and group messages, it'll show in blue, text messages will show in green, go to Settings/Select messages/Turn on/off Imessag, it needs to be turned off and back on in order to display the new number in outgoing messages. if it was not turned on and you did not turn 3G/Wi-Fi you'll receive your message from UK as text message.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MatB wrote:

Good question Robert, Imessage is directly operated by apple, you should configure it in your iph...

Therefore, the persone will be charged as an international text message? The problem here is that I so have iMessage turned on, and 3G/wifi. BUT, when at school, I close my 3G which leaves me only the possibility to receive text message through wifi. THE PROBLEM : wifi shuts down after you lock your phone which will result in no connection to the iMessage server. I don'T mind receiving them as text messages since my plan include international text messages. I'm just asking for the person who is sending them from UK. What happens for the person in the UK, this is what I'm interesed in. PS: Also, I saw something special. At first I received the text as text message. THEN, it switched to iMessage. So I don't know who is sending the message as what! Is it UK > iMessage > Koodo > iMessage when available or text message OR Is it UK > iMessage if the receiver of the text has it activated or text message > Koodo > persone receiving text iMessage/text message
Userlevel 1
MatB wrote:

Good question Robert, Imessage is directly operated by apple, you should configure it in your iph...

If you think that when you turn off your Phone, Wi-Fi gets also disconnected, only thing you should do when you unlock your phone again is trying to scan once again to find out if Wi-Fi is still reacheable, I can't say if this is a Wi-Fi problem or phone Problem. Regarding UK if that person sent it as Imessage, it'll be an Imessage even if you received it as SMS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MatB wrote:

I don't understand the first part o your message. There's no problem with my phone. Due to battery consumption, wifi automatically shuts down. About the second part, I don't know if you have an iPhone, but when the person you sent the message has its iMessage diabled or turned off for an amount of time, I, the sender, will try to send the text as an iMessage. BUT, since the phone sees there is no iMessage on the other hand, it will send it as text message. Considering this, I would say the person will get charged. But I'm not quite sure becaue when I reconnect the phone to either 3G/wifi, the message firstly received as a text messages, will switch to "received as iMessage"
Userlevel 1
MatB wrote:

Correct, if iMessag is unavailable, the message may be sent as SMS or MMS,, you can adjust your iPhone at Settings>Messages>Sens As SMS, Messages sent using iMessage will appear in light blue bubble, while messages sent using SMS or MMS will appear in green bubble, same thing on the other side, in this case I presume that will happen if you tried sending your message using both ways.
Userlevel 1
MatB wrote:

Any further iMessage troubleshooting can be found here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755
MatB wrote:

it does not matter for the sender that the receiver has to have imessage turned on or off. The delivery is based on wether the receiver has an Apple ID or not. iMessage works by automatically checking to see if the contact you're sending messages to has an Apple ID associated with the device. If it is, the message will get sent as an iMessage instead of the usual text message. So your contact from UK will not occure charges for international texting as long as he/she keep imessage ON and has a Wifi/3G connection ON
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As you are aware, iMessage uses data. Either Network data or WiFi. Also assuming you both are using iPhones and have an iMessage account. 1) If the imessage fails, and the setting to send as an SMS is on for the sender then the message will send as a SMS and you will receive it when you turn the cell network back on. Chances are when you are connected to WIFI the iMessage will be received too. This will result in you receiving an iMessage and an SMS. To prevent the sender from accidentally sending a failed iMessage as an SMS: Go into Settings -> Messages -> and make sure the toggle for Send as SMS is off 2) Your friend in the UK will be charged only if sending SMS from UK to Canada is an extra cost on his plan. 3) If you friend sends the message as an SMS, it wont matter if your phone is connected to the network or not. It will send and be considered as sent on their plan. You will receive it only after you turn on your network. This is why on a flight if you have your phone off and lots of people text you they come at once when you turn your phone on