Koodo Community

Community

Im going to Mexico and will need to use my phone to send some text messages to meet up with family, what is cheapest way to do it?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The cheapest way would likely be to get a prepaid sim card from AT&T Mexico who is generally the cheapest in Mexico, and use that. You can also download a VoIP app such as Fongo, or Textnow (Fongo charges 2 dollars a month for texting, Textnow is free) and get a Canadian number and use that with your data plan. It would allowe you to also use messaging apps etc.

If youre planning on a minimal number of texts, and literally nothing else, you could just get the 15 dollar text add-on. However, if you want to do anything more, it would become well worth it to get a local prepaid plan.
Goran wrote:

The cheapest way would likely be to get a prepaid sim card from AT&T Mexico who is generally ...

Thanks for the tips! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

The cheapest way would likely be to get a prepaid sim card from AT&T Mexico who is generally ...

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Mexico

Prices quoted in Mexico look scary like $300... but the $ is used as the symbol for peso, not the US dollar. Roughly 19 Mexican pesos to the US dollar.

Goran wrote:

If I put a Mexican SIM card in my current phone from Koodo, can I still access my Koodo voice mail of my Canadian number, if I continue my Koodo plan in Canada?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Yes but it would charge you as if you're making an international call. You could instead setup Fongo or some other VoIP service with a Canadian number and make your voicemail you're out of the country and to call the Fongo number to reach you.
Goran wrote:

I am traveling to Mexico with my unlocked phone.  If I keep my Canadian plan (it's a good one) but I don't intend on using it..  I would buy a Mexican SIM card and a pay as you go Mexican data plan, will anything I do get charged to my Canadian plan/ will I incur further expenses some how?
You should check out getting a KnowRoaming sticker. I've used one over the past year in the US, England and Bulgaria, and I love it! When you arrive in a new country, it automatically sets up service for you.