Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I would like more information on how to transfer from monthly plan to prepaid.

I would like to transfer from a monthly plan to prepaid. I have an iPhone 4. How do I do this? I was told that I need to buy a $20 sim. Where can I buy it and what do I do next? Where can I choose what I want and how do I pay for it? I have a question regarding the base plan of $15/month so I am hoping I could go to Walmart (this is where I bought my phone from) and ask about it before I fully decide to do the transfer. If I went with the $15/month with the $25 500 minutes top-up, will it be $35 for the first month and just $15/month for the following months? Will the remaining minutes just keep on carrying on to the next months or will it eventually expire? Is there a minimum amount of minutes that you need to use per month? Will not using the minutes at all cause the account to be considered inactive or be deactivated? Could I possibly call Koodo and ask about this?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Lia,

I'm going to do my best to cover all your questions here, let me know if I've missed any.

1. You will need to buy a 20$ pre-paid SIM Card from a Koodo Kiosk. Currently, the only store that sells the pre-paid SIM card is the actual Koodo Kiosks or eBay.
  2. Once the SIM card is purchased, you can go on Self Serve and sign up for a new Self Serve account (but make sure you select the prepaid self serve!) here you can register your SIM card
  3. You will need to add credit via credit card, or top up voucher to start. 
  4. Now you will be able to select your base plan which you must renew every month. Your base plan you selected, 15$/month gives you unlimited texting every month
  5. You can add the 500 minute add-on if you still have sufficient credit in your pre-paid account. add-ons do not expire as long as you keep renewing your base plan. If you forget to renew your base plan for 90 days, your account becomes inactive and add-ons are lost. Any add-on works this way.
  6. Not using minutes will not make your phone become inactive. The only way it will go inactive is if you have not renewed your base plan in 90 days.
For an excellent quick intro guide to Koodo Prepaid, take a look at this video.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Lia,

I'm going to do my best to cover all your questions here, let me know if I've missed any...

Setting up a prepaid account will allow you to keep your existing number. At the same time, your old monthly account will automatically be closed. You will receive a final invoice for whatever balance is still on your tab less the unused portion of your monthly bill.

Sign up for automatic renewals of your base plan and 10% is credited back to your account, so $15 a month (plus taxes) top-up will show an extra $1.50 in your account at every top-up.

You normally will receive text reminders a few days before top-ups are due, which is every 30 days, not one calendar month.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Lia,

I'm going to do my best to cover all your questions here, let me know if I've missed any...

There's none close to me that sell the Koodo prepaid sim card. I need one for iPhone 4s. Where can I buy one online?
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Lia,

Be aware that pre-paid plans only work in Canada. If you travel outside of Canada, your phone will not work. That is the only drawback that I can see to pre-paid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Lia,

That sword cuts both ways. No "accidental" roaming or surprise charges for those of us who live near the US border.