Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I was on the phone for 30 minutes to figure out why and how I was charged 4.99 for "Application Store Service"

I was on the phone with a Koodo customer service agaent for 30 minutes to figure out why and how I was charged $4.99 for "Application Store Service" and they were utterly useless. Can someone please help?

I have an iPhone 6, the apple ID is linked directly to my email and Visa (Apple would've sent me an email if I made any purchase and the charge would appear on my Visa, not on my Koodo bill). The customer agent also claimed that the $4.99 "purchase" was done on cellular data, which it was not because it is turned off (as is "Updates"). On Itunes I reviewed (with the agent) my "hidden purchases" (it is empty) and my purchases (it is not abnormal), and I did not buy any app. 

Other than this farcical attempt to help figure out this billing the agent could not help me unlink unwanted incoming bills in the future. I was also told to simply go to the Apple store to rectify this situation, when all I want is to know where this fee came from and make sure that it never happens again via my Koodo account.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you sure you didn't t buy anything from the app store? There are options for charging app or game purchases to your bill. I think Koodo stopped participating but maybe it got through or something? You can try sending a private message to Koodo via Facebook Messenger or DM via Twitter to get someone to take a deeper look into it without waiting on the phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You will need to find out which App Store caused the billing, and address it through them. Koodo is just the messenger in this case,  the supplier sends them a bill, and they flow it through, and are not party to the actual transaction in any manner.  I'll also bet $4.99 it is not the Apple App Store which has billed you, but another.  You'll need to track down which one to dispute. there should be information somewhere on the billing to indicate where to dispute.

1. Precisely, how do I track down this billing? Where do I begin? There is no evidence of any purchase made through the Apple App store...
2. How can Koodo prevent a 3rd party from ever charging me again? Why is Koodo clueless and helpless?
3. I DM'ed Koodo's Twitter account over an hour ago and no one has responded yet. This message board is seemingly more serviceable. 
4. When a fraudulent charge appears on a credit card, the card becomes compromised. I view my account as having been compromised and therefore wish to end services (I've been a client for 5+ years and never had any issues beforehand).
Userlevel 5
Matt C wrote:

1. Precisely, how do I track down this billing? Where do I begin? There is no evidence of any pur...

Hey Matt, looks like the purchase on Sept. 1 is from Triton Canada.  Check out the link for more info where they provide contact details to inquire about these charges.  You'll need to contact them about this transaction.  Hope this helps.http://tritonglobal.ca/do-you-have-phone-bill-charges-from-triton-global-or-fastrack/  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Matt C wrote:

1. Precisely, how do I track down this billing? Where do I begin? There is no evidence of any pur...

@Matt, if you look at line 73 of your invoice (the pdf), you see the line where you called a number that provides a variety services but they do charge for it. Like any third party we have no affiliation with any of these vendors apart from the ability to charge the service to your bill as an alternative to a credit card.  
Matt C wrote:

Thank you for these responses. Finally, we're getting down to something! So is this a number that called me, texted me, or a phone number that I called? I'm getting mixed responses here. Also, is that link to tritonglobal applicable in this case?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Matt C wrote:

It's a toll free number and based on our call tracking you called them. 
Matt C wrote:

Interesting. So I don't need to contact Triton global? Also, how is it that I am charged for a toll free number?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Matt C wrote:

You do Matt. Your dispute is with them. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Matt C wrote:

Toll-free means that there is no connection nor airtime charge (besides regular minute usage if not on unlimited). You didn't pay for the call itself; you (or someone with access to your phone) paid for some service through the call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Matt C wrote:

Toll-free means that there is no connection nor airtime charge (besides regular minute usage if not on unlimited). You didn't pay for the call itself; you (or someone with access to your phone) paid for some service through the call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
1. That's a tough one. Does anyone else have access to your phone? Maybe ask them? Check apps that can do in app purchase for something that matches the amount? Some serious sleuthing might be needed with no records, especially if no email was sent.

2. Without preventing the service entirely I don't see how? I wouldn't call Koodo any more helpless or clueless than say another service that can process transactions so long as a password or something of the sort is given.

3. Fb/twitter can take a few hours to get a response but it usually beats waiting on the phone as you can at least do something else without a phone to your head or on speaker.

4. If you wish to cancel your account, you will have to call 611 to do so. However, a number change might be enough. Or a new iTunes account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There have been a number of other threads on this topic. Why not have a look at them? A search using the term "Application Store Service" brings a number of discussions. Here are two that seem pertinent, given the $4.99 price tag:

One
Two

There are undoubtedly others.

I've got "4 events" totaling $20.00 and I have never downloaded an app that had to be paid for- I only download free apps  so where did the $20.00 for 4 apps come from??? I'm going to pay it this time however from now on I'm going to eagle eye every bill I receive!!!
hjrvh wrote:

I've got "4 events" totaling $20.00 and I have never downloaded an app that had to be paid for- I...

I too have been scammed in the same way...four events   $20.00 all on the same bill. Koodo has not yet responded to me on how to avoid this trap of being redirected when dialing a toll free number then having to hit "1" for more info.  If you ask me , Koodo could be considered complicit (as in helping or assisting) in this scam. how many others are being scammed this way? is there an authorized Koodo rep that can answer?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Probably from in app purchases or a 3rd party calling service of some sort. Make double sure you didn't pay for something in a game or something of that sort. Also check with anyone else with access to your account.
Why would you (or I) pay these ghost fees this time? We are being billed for products we did not purchase... 
Also, according to the responses that I've received, keeping an eagle eye on your bill changes absolutely nothing. I've been a diligent customer for multiple years "eagle eyeing" my bills. Though this is the first time I notice an incongruence between my bill and my data consumption, I am not met with a lending-hand, but rather told to investigate the case without any clues.