Koodo Community

Community

I thought my phone was unlocked but it didn't take the new US SIM card I tried to put in it

I have an iPhone SE and I was trying to put a US SIM card in it since I am in the states. When I put it in I could not get into my phone because it needs to be unlocked. However, I thought my phone was already unlocked since I bought it from Apple to bring over to Koodo. 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You bought it direct from Apple new? If so it's supposed to be factory unlocked. Please confirm where and when you got it?
Goran wrote:

You bought it direct from Apple new? If so it's supposed to be factory unlocked. Please confirm w...

I did buy it direct from Apple, which is why I thought it was unlocked. I bought it a while ago, maybe 2 years ago. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

You bought it direct from Apple new? If so it's supposed to be factory unlocked. Please confirm w...

Hi Taylor
Just to clarify, You could not get into the phone and got the  locked message? If so, it is the apple iphone password that prevented you from accessing the phone.

Normally if the phone is "locked" by a carrier, you still can "get into" the phone, but cannot join other network.
Goran wrote:

I got to the point of "start up" so I put in my passcode and connected to wifi but then it didn't register the SIM card and wouldn't go any further with start up. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I would try to put in another SIM and see if the activation proceed. It could be something wrong with the activation process.

Normally, if you put in an unsupported SIM into a locked phone. The phone can still turn on and get to "home screen" but with the message of "no service".
Goran wrote:

I just tried my dad's US SIM card and it still doesn't work, but my US SIM card worked in his phone 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Can you take out the SIM and activate the iPhone through wifi? When you get to the homescreen you could reinsert the SIM.
Goran wrote:

I just tried and as soon as is realizes there is a SIM card it takes me back to the lock screen to start set up with the new card and locks me out again. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

This is strange. Which US carrier was it? And you are sure that your phone from Apple Canada were unlocked? Or it was locked to Telus?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

If you bought your iphone from apple online, then it would come unlocked.  if you bought it in an apple store through a carrier or a a subsidy then it would be locked.

In this case you will need to send Koodo a private message via facebook or twitter and they will unlock for free for you.  But please expect Koodo to take a couple of days to get back to you
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

If you bought your iphone from apple online, then it would come unlocked.  if you bought it in an apple store through a carrier or a a subsidy then it would be locked.

In this case you will need to send Koodo a private message via facebook or twitter and they will unlock for free for you.  But please expect Koodo to take a couple of days to get back to you
Goran wrote:

If you're still in the USA, take it to an Apple Store and see if they can confirm it. Sometimes you need to unbrick it by restoring it, hooking it up to iTUnes and restoring it. Maybe it's not on the right GSX policy with Apple to be able to roam in the usa (i've seen this with other non-koodo providers)...which that would require an unbrick again.