Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I phone 3G and data connection and reception

I have an iphone 3G. In orde to get reception of Koodo, I have to get 3G on in my phone. But in this phone, 3G is activated at the same time as cell data. it is only one switch for both. How to do to get reception of Koodo (people can call me and I can call them)  and not get charged for any data?
is there any way I an block my data up to 300MB, as part of my plan.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Nothing you can do on that phone, sorry!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just go into the settings, and turn off all applications access to data. On the 3Gs I had, we bought the minimum data package to avoid pay-per-use charges. The phone used a few KB per month.  The phone has since been.gifted to a friend, who did similar. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data

I think that path is available?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Yes, but if you turn 3G off on the iPhone 3G or 3Gs, it will not connect to the network for voice or data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Sorry I mean turn off Cellular Data.  Not turn off 3G.

It s tough to find online since it's a much older device.

Googling 3G does not help due to the confusion with the phone name and the network.  Also getting a confirmed menu image of ios3(?) is rather difficult too
Userlevel 5
Dennis wrote:

Unfortunatly,  the 3G did not have Cellular Data button to turn off, that came on the 4
And as dfbutt mentioned , If you turn off 3G, it reverts to 2G and of course Koodo does not have a 2G network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Um.... i swear I never wrote to turn off 3G
Userlevel 5
Dennis wrote:

You didn't,   You said to turn off Cellular Data,  which cant be done on the iphone 3G
(unless you turn off 3G)    
Ya,  I can see the confusion with the name of the phone and the network name,   lol
Dennis wrote:

Koodo ant block my device if I reach 300 MB?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

They currently dont offer that
Userlevel 7
Hi Myriam, you  probably don't want to hear this but you can get a Moto E or a moto G from koodo for a very low price if you want. These devices are much faster than the iphone 3g and you won't run into this data issue on these devices. Hope that helps 🙂
my iphone 3g works fine. why i should change! consume, consume, consume... or I can change for a network that works with 2G! do you know any?
Userlevel 6
Myriam Amri wrote:

my iphone 3g works fine. why i should change! consume, consume, consume... or I can change for a ...

rogers but you will be paying way more per month.
consume consume consume!

Maybe pick up a cheaper used upgrade for yourself.
You can get an iphone 5 for 150 bucks or so.

Think about it !
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myriam Amri wrote:

my iphone 3g works fine. why i should change! consume, consume, consume... or I can change for a ...

If you switch to a carrier that still offers a 2G network, you would still have to pay for data, so that would not solve your problem.

If you want to keep using the iPhone 3G, then your options are:
- pay per use data (adds up fast)
- buy a small data allowance 

If you switch to a newer phone you can bypass the issue. You might easily find someone's cast-off iPhone 4 or 4S at no charge.

BTW, the likelihood of reading 300MB in data per month is unlikely, unless you change your habits to use the phone for internet activities. My partner easily stays within a 100 MB limit each month.