Koodo Community

Community

Solved

i lost my iPhone4 with insurance. Do I get covered?

lost it, reported it, but i still have no phone and i have an extra 10$ insurance on it. Does this cover lost phones or service at all?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo doesn't sell insurance on devices at all, are you with Koodo and if so where did you buy this insurance exactly since koodo doesn't offer insurance?
Userlevel 4
Probably offered through a 3rd prty retailer or Apple themselves
Userlevel 7
Depends on what the insurance covers... Koodo doesn't offer protection plans of any sort, so I'm assuming you bought it from Best Buy/Future Shop? Mobile Shops have the Stay Mobile Care Plan but it doesn't go on iPhones, we authorize Applecare+ instead. Applecare+ is not a monthly fee, it's $100 upfront and covers all software issues and physical/liquid damage. You take it into an Apple store with your receipt, and they give you a brand new phone (up to 2 times) over the counter for a $50 service fee... it doesn't cover loss/theft, though (since you need to relinquish your old device).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
IMO, I don't recommend calling your insurance for that. Usually there's a 500$ minimum fee that you have to pay before they start paying anything (for example if someone comes in your house and steals everything, we're talking about home insurance that might be able to cover your phone too) This is why, considering the value of the phone goes up to 800 maximum, you would only get 300 back which is not worth it since the monthly fee risks to go up.
Userlevel 4
Robert wrote:

IMO, I don't recommend calling your insurance for that. Usually there's a 500$ minimum fee that y...

I doubt he is referring to an actual insurance company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

IMO, I don't recommend calling your insurance for that. Usually there's a 500$ minimum fee that y...

Some examples here: http://mashable.com/2013/07/09/smartphone-insurance/