Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I can take the phone out of Vancouver, but I can't take Vancouver out of the phone!

Moved from BC to ON. I was told I could keep my same BC number, I just had to change my address online. I did that, but callers are still getting long distance notifications (and bills) when calling me. How can I fix that? Do I need a new number?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes you can keep the number. By keeping your it doesnt make it an ON number. it is still a BC number Other people calling you will be calling Vancouver. Depending on their plan long distance charges apply to them. If you have a Canada wide plan then the entire country is considered local to you. To prevent others from getting long distance charges for calling Vancouver then you need to switch to a local number. Really the CRTC should outlaw Canadian long distance charges and all area codes are Canadian area codes with no region assigned to them. We live in a mobile work and a country where people move provinces all the time for work, etc
Userlevel 5
unless everyone else is on koodo then there is no LD charge for anyone within Canada 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can get the most basic VOIP (voice over internet protocol) from CallCentric and pick a number that meshes well with family/friends in previous location, so that they don't have to pay for long distance. You don't even have to physically install the phone, just set that number up from your computer to forward calls to your current Ontario cell number. Instant toll-free number for a few dollars a month. Only drawback: VOIP does not handle text messaging, which should be sent to your current cel number directly. I live in an area where if you drive 30 minutes you can be in 450, 819, 514 and 802. Using this call forwarding setup means that people will actually call a local number rather than ignoring a long-distance one when replying to an ad, for example.
Userlevel 3
BobTheElectrician wrote:

You can get the most basic VOIP (voice over internet protocol) from CallCentric and pick a number...

The VOIP I'm using handles text messages (although not on every number). You can have them emailed to you or forwarded to your phone as a text message. I think it is a penny a text, but they haven't started charging yet. I just use email and set that sender to a VIP so they show up right away and ding (where other emails don't ding). Replying to a text email goes via text (haven't used this part yet).
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

You can get the most basic VOIP (voice over internet protocol) from CallCentric and pick a number...

Which VOIP? Would be good to know.
Userlevel 3
BobTheElectrician wrote:

VOIP.ms I use two Canadian numbers in different area codes. Initially VOIP.ms could only supply texting to one number, so I internally ported the second one and now texting works on both.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

+1 for VOIP.ms They offer texting over their local numbers, but unfortunately not for their toll-free numbers. I use a VOIP number as a 'follow-me' number. I can hand it out to any of my contacts, and can have it ring at any number(s) I want. Travelling the world? Pick up a burner phone and call forward. Want to answer at home, work or on the road - set up a ring group and three phones will ring simultaneously. Want to dump telemarketers? Dump their number to a voicemail box with your devious response - or just to the void. Want special callers to get through, but not others? No problem! Wi-Fi calling? No problem! These options and more available with an appropriate VOIP account and your current phone.
Thanks for the help, Dennis! Guess I'll be switching numbers. womp womp womp lol