Koodo Community

I am going to five countries in SE Asia in the next few weeks, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia, Easy Roam too expensive, what are my other options??

• 15 January 2019
  • 11 replies

I am going to five countries in SE Asia in the next few weeks, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia, would it be better and more economical to rely on local wireless services? I am going for three months and cannot afford Easy Raom at $12/day.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unlock your phone and get a prepaid SIM card over there : http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's ALWAYS more economical to rely on local services rather than roaming.
Unlock your phone and get a prepaid SIM card over there : http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_da

Depending on when and where you purchased your device, it may already be unlocked.
The issue is that it is five countries over three months. I hate the idea of changing SIM cards and another new phone number every time I enter a new country when there will be five of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would suggest you use Fongo or Google hangout for calling and texting on Wi-Fi.

You could use the payperuse rate instead of easyroam (to receive incoming text) on your phone. You could forward your number to fongo also (remember to add the $3 add-on to avoid the $0.6 per minute for call forwarding)

Malaisia, Vietnam and Thailand have extensive wifi hotspots in hotel & coffee shop etc. You could use Wifi almost at every stops. Laos and Cambodia don't have much coverage. However, if you stay in good hotels, Wifi should be available.

If you need calling through the local network, you could buy an local data-only SIM and you could talk on Fongo, skype or Google hangout.

If you choose to use payperuse rate, remember to turn off cellular data (and remove easyroam but keep the international data and calling roaming on) to avoid accidental charges.
Thanks so much for the advice. I was thinking along these lines but wasn't sure about the WIFI availability in these countries. Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks so much for the advice. I was thinking along these lines but wasn't sure about the WIFI availability in these countries. Cheers.
I would still research that link Robert provided.
In some cases, there may be a carrier that covers multiple countries. And when traveling I wouldnt worry about the number and texting. I would just use data.
Good point. My understanding though is even though you may purchase data only, you are changing to a SIM card anyways provided by the local carrier and doesn’t it mean that you are getting a new phone number then? Or can a “data” SIM card be of a type without a phone number change? Not famiar with the latter so excuse my ignorance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Good point. My understanding though is even though you may purchase data only, you are changing to a SIM card anyways provided by the local carrier and doesn’t it mean that you are getting a new phone number then? Or can a “data” SIM card be of a type without a phone number change? Not famiar with the latter so excuse my ignorance.
Yes, you'd basically be getting a whole new phone line with a new carrier, which means a new "local" phone number.
Just a note in case you didnt know but easyroam will cap itself at $150/billing cycle so you wont pay anything over that each billing cycle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes you would be assigned a new number, but if you are only using data (ex. google maps, internet searches, and a data messaging app, then your phone number on that sim is not important)
Thanks All for the good and experienced advice. Keep up the good work, cheers.