Koodo Community

Community

I am currently in iceland and my iphone cannot connect

I am currently in iceland and my iphone cannot connect to a service provider. I was planning to just add the roaming travel package once here, and I am unable to add it through self serve for some reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sign into self serve and add the free "international voice roaming" add on. (add "international data roaming" too if you want to use data). Then reboot your phone. It phone now connect to the network allowing you to activate a roaming package by sending a text.
Thank you! My second problem is that when I go to log into Self Serve, when I click the 'next' button to show the second page of calls, nothing happens. Just a blue and green square appears. I have tried different browsers, on my phone... no luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Could you send us a screenshot of what you see?
Userlevel 6
Hey Rachel, Have you tried texting ROAM to 7626? This will add Easy Roam and normally automatically adds international data and talk roaming to your account. It is $10/day, max $100 charge per billing cycle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

Hey Rachel, Have you tried texting ROAM to 7626? This will add Easy Roam and normally automati...

The problem is that if you are already overseas you can't connect to the network to send that text without international voice roaming activated on the account.
Userlevel 6
Erwin wrote:

Hey Rachel, Have you tried texting ROAM to 7626? This will add Easy Roam and normally automati...

Hey Timo,
I did some research and found that you can add Easy Roam outside Canada through text. Normally what happens when our Koodo phone detects that it is roaming is to send a welcome message and that Easy Roam is active. However, if it detects that you haven't added Easy Roam yet it will give a text like this:

Koodo: Easy Roam allows you to use your phone like you do at home. Use your monthly plan's minutes, data or texts for $7/day in the U.S and $10/day in over 100 international destinations. You're only charged for the days when you use your phone. All incoming texts are free. Reply TRAVEL to add. Visit koodo.com/easyroam for more info. Need help? Check out koodo.com/help.

You're included on the list for Koodo offers and deals. Reply unsubscribe to opt out or visit bit.ly/UctlZt.

The only two add-ons that needs to be provisioned is international voice calling and international data roaming. However, ones you add Easy Roam, they are automatically added. I think international text is already pre-added without worry that it may be removed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

International roaming text is part of the international voice roaming add on.
Erwin wrote:

Hi I have a question about this. I recently added 2 phones for adult grandchildren who are going to England for university in the fall, to the 2 phones we already have with Koodo. They will be there for approximately 8 months. They will really need a phone.The salesperson where I got the new phones, said it would cost a fortune to use their phones in England. Each of their bills now is $75.00 plus taxes. He suggested putting the phones on suspension for 6 months, which I have done before, I know it costs $15.00 a month, plus I have to continue paying the tab of $15.00. That's $60.00 a month, for both, for basically nothing, the only reason I would do this is to maintain their phone numbers.He also suggested that I could pay the tab off. It's $360.00 each and they could buy cards to apply to the phone in England. I did see the roaming, and if they used the phones every day, it would be an added $300.00, each plus $75 for the plan, plus taxes in a 30 day month. We can't afford that at all. This is my question, will they be charged the roaming fee, on incoming calls and texts that they don't reply to?. I also thought about suspending one phone and paying all the charges on the other, I could do that with each of them, do 4 months on each. I would really appreciate your help and expertise please. Our family really wants to stay in touch with them, from Canada.Thank-you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

hi N McPhee,
Roaming is costly, especially for that long duration 8months.

So the reason you wanted to keep the plan was the phone numbers?. You could keep your grandchildren number by porting it to a VoiP service and use that number in UK. I would suggest you check out Fongo. I believe you would need to pay $25 to port your current numbers to it. However, there is no monthly fee. If you need text, you could buy "text add-on" to it.

With the numbers ported to Fongo (or any voip service), your grandchildren can buy a UK sim with data (fongo needs data to work). Then they will have 2 numbers (one Fongo and a UK number). You could call their Canadian numbers, and local can call their UK numbers.

If you choose to port to fongo, the Koodo plans will be cancelled, and you will need to reregister once they are back to Canada
Erwin wrote:

Yes I would like them to be able to keep their numbers. It doesn't look very professional, while in University to have your phone shut off and numbers changed. They'll be doing that for 3 years in a row. Coming back to Canada each year from April until the end of August. I'll have to show them your reply, I'm a grandparent, and  not that familiar with all the stuff out there. They thought they might have to rely on skype. So the Koodo plans would be cancelled, and the tabs paid? It wouldn't be worth the trouble to go back to Koodo, from April until August each time, can they stay with Fongo in Canada?. Thank you for your reply.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

@ N McPhee: You can use fongo anywhere. Skype can also work, But I am not sure if you can port your Koodo number to Skype.

If you cancel the Koodo account (when you port), you would have to pay the Tab.

I am not sure about the "doesn't look very professional". The easiest way (professional way) is to use easyroam, you would have to pay $100 (easyroam is capped at $100/billing cycle)+$75/month. You wouldn't have to do much.
Erwin wrote:

Okay Thank you again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Rachel - I couldn't find a profile matching your email address, but by any chance does your phone number end in 56?
Ranjan wrote:

Hi Rachel - I couldn't find a profile matching your email address, but by any chance does your ph...

Hi Ranjan, yes my number does end in 56!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rachel M Thornton wrote:

Great - I think I see why you're having the issue with Self Serve.
Looks like you activated back in April, but you didn't go through the steps to correctly set-up/activate your Self Serve profile. We would have sent you a profile creation email at the time of activation with instructions. In order to activate the profile, you need to follow the link embedded in that email. This would have been sent to your mta.ca email address.

You'll need to send us a private message on Facebook. A rep will be able to validate you as the account owner and help set-up your Self Serve, and also guide you through how to get Easy Roam added.
Rachel M Thornton wrote:

Thanks Ranjan,  I sent a message about 4 hours ago, just waiting to hear back. Thanks so much for everryone's help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rachel M Thornton wrote:

Great. It's just past 9am Eastern here, so we only just 'opened for business'. Someone will get back to you today to help! 🙂