Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Hypothetical iPhone Unlocking question...

I have an iPhone 5c that I got from Koodo last year. I'm not a Koodo customer anymore, but would like to have the phone unlocked so I can take it to Australia for a few months. From what I've read, Koodo will unlock your phone if you're a customer and don't have a negative tab balance for $35. So let's say I get a prepaid sim and top it up to include the $35 for the unlock fee, will Koodo unlock my iPhone 5c if I call them after I active a prepaid sim? 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
According to the faq, I'd say yes.

Can I unlock my Koodo Prepaid phone?

Yes you can. Give us a call at 1-866-99-KOODO if you’d like to unlock your phone. A $35 unlocking charge applies, so make sure you’ve got a credit card or Top Up voucher on hand when you call. CDMA phones (phones that don’t use a SIM card), cannot be unlocked.

To b sure however, you may want to contact koodo and just pretend to be a prepaid customer looking for the unlock. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Userlevel 7
I'm going to giving a positive 100% confirmation that yes that will work.

I've essentially done it myself. I set up a prepaid line and had my iPhone unlocked in the same week
Totally worked! Got a prepaid sim today for $20, which equalled to $20 in credit. So when I went home i activated it and added the $15 base plan to make my account active (I had a balance of $5 after). Called up Koodo immediately and they unlocked it for $30 (since I had a $5 balance already). 

Way easier than unlocking through a third party, which would have costed ~$100 and would have taken a few days. This was instant. 
Userlevel 7
Raveena Gill wrote:

Totally worked! Got a prepaid sim today for $20, which equalled to $20 in credit. So when I went ...

I'm glad it went so smoothly for you like it did for me! 🙂 Enjoy your unlocked phone!