Koodo Community
Question

huge data usage in 5 minutes!!

• 17 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Can someone explain to me how my daughter could use 5.5 gigs of data in 5 minutes while streaming Apple Music driving in the car.  She received 3 texts in 5 minutes indicating she used 50%, then 90%, then 100% of her 11 gigs of data.  I had quite a discussion with customer service and technical support and while they could not explain how it happened they said that based on their tests it was valid data usage.  There is clearly a glitch somewhere and tech support told me this only happens with Apple products and not android.  So in their opinion it’s a problem with iPhone and not the network.  We made some phone settings changes, but I’m still baffled by 5.5 gigs in 5 minutes.  Anybody else experience anything like this?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If she was using data to streaming music, then all  other apps could access to get data while she was listening music.

It could be OS and/or games update, any other social media tools...etc.

Ask her to check her phone settings. She can see which apps were consumed how much data.  And she need adjust data usage settings to prevent to use mobile data. 

I know 5 GB is  large amount.  But, it still possible depends on your phone settings if all those updates happened at same time...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Theoretically 4G LTE data rate is between 2 and 5 Mbps.

5 minutes usage can get to 5x60x5MB=1,500MB=1.5GB

To have been able to use 5.5GB in 5 minutes,  the data rate you must have used is (5.5/1.5 )x5Mbps=  18.33 Mbps which is more than 3 times the advertised 4G LTE data rate (but still possible as it is below the 100Mbps 4G LTE absolute max data rate)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Maybe that Apple Music decided it’s a good time to download all her library? 

When she checked the apps and their data usage, it showed Apple Music responsible for more than 9  of her 11 gigs.   She said she has streamed Apple Music while driving for hours in the past and might use 1 gig max.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve seen Apple Music use a bunch of data on a friend’s phone a neve knew why...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When she checked the apps and their data usage, it showed Apple Music responsible for more than 9  of her 11 gigs.   She said she has streamed Apple Music while driving for hours in the past and might use 1 gig max.

So this confirms that Koodo’s measure of data used is accurate if it matches that of the data usage on the iphone.

This might be a question better suited for Apple than koodo as it is the Apple Music app that is using the data and there is nothing Koodo can do about Apple’s music streaming app