Koodo Community
Solved

How much much mb does this take up

How much mb does facebook or checking your mail take or serving the web. On the iPhone on a 200mb plan.

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 6
If all you're doing is checking Facebook & EMail you should be fine. Just be sure not to watch YouTube or other video sites or do video calling over 3G.
If I do video call over 3G than how much
Userlevel 6
Darko Angelovski wrote:

Video calling uses about 10MB per minute
Darko Angelovski wrote:

Thank you
Video over 3g eats data for breakfast. So far this month, Facebook had used about 125mb on my phone. That's checking the news feed probably twice a day, and all push notifications turned on.
Userlevel 5
You can use Koodo's Data Calculator to estimate the amount of data you need. Remember though, smartphones use a lot of background data as well so make sure you include that in your calculation as well. Link: http://koodomobile.com/en/on/datasaverlightweight.shtml
Userlevel 6
John Lee wrote:

You can use Koodo's Data Calculator to estimate the amount of data you need. Remember though, sma...

That Data calculator is weak IMO ... the top 20 downloads average 4MB each? C'mon now, download the 5 Angry Birds games it's already over 100MB When in Canada I average 100MB/day with Koodo (3GB cap). When in the US I average 2GB/day with T-Mobile (unlimited).
John Lee wrote:

You can use Koodo's Data Calculator to estimate the amount of data you need. Remember though, sma...

Yeah I agree, the data calculator isn't that great. 2gb per day though? Streaming a lot of video or what?
John Lee wrote:

Would have to be. I can't conceive anything else that would consume that much data. Heck, on my PC, I go through 2GB in an hour just downloading a game from steam XD.
Userlevel 6
John Lee wrote:

Yeah plus I go HD on YouTube videos, no need to worry about a cap & I torrent too tether to my other devices (though T-Mobile charges 15$ for that) still it's 70$/mos for unlimited everything with no throttling & tethering charge included. I abuse it when in the US then go back to normal when I return to Canada.
John Lee wrote:

lol yeah. Worst was when I downloaded X-com from steam. 12gb in a few hours... I should really check and see how much I download on my house connection. We got rid of cable, and just use netflix & torrents for entertainment. Netflix streams pretty much all day long for the kids, so I'm thinking it might be a pretty scary number.
John Lee wrote:

No kidding. Overages for Internet providers are usually not really noticable unless you're going like a 1 TB over.
John Lee wrote:

I'm actually on an unlimited plan at home through aliant. It's a DSL connection, the top speed I've seen is 5mbit, so nothing to write home about, but it does the job. Eastlink offers a 20mbit unlimited package in the area too, thinking about switching. John: I've always been hesitant to download torrents on a mobile connection. Not for the legal aspects, but just the crap load of half open tcp connections, I figured they'd see that right away and start throttling or blocking the connection.
Userlevel 6
John Lee wrote:

Ya though I only torrent movies & TV shows. Because of my job I'd feel bad pirating games / Apps. So with only movies & TV shows I've yet to have a problem and I don't use an anti-virus or any of that. Though I do run Nexus devices that as of 4.2 check automatically for suspicious behaviour when installing Apps.
John Lee wrote:

So what do you limit your simultaneous connections to when downloading over 3g?
Userlevel 6
John Lee wrote:

When on Koodo I don't do torrents but on T-Mobile I limit it to 100 usually but once I'm done downloading I stop seeding.
John Lee wrote:

oh, you're one of those types 😉, just kidding. Yeah, I've got no interest in using torrents on Koodo. I should be heading back to the states for work in January sometime, and was planning on getting a t-mobile sim this time around.