Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How long active after top up with 15$ ?

I´m from Germany and on holiday again in Canada end of June 2017. My account will be deactivated on 12th January 2017 if I do not top up until that time with 15$. My question: does it make sense to top up if I want to use this sim card end of June 2017? How long is the card active if I top up? And do I have to make a call to activate? (I can't because I´m in Germany...)
Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The sim card is permanently deactivated once the base plan has been inactive for more than 90 days. Renewing the base plan once would get you an extra 120 days before it expires (30 days active service, plus 90 days before it expires). A new sim card, I believe, is $20. If you're not back until June, it would be cheaper to simply buy a new sim once you return, unless there's a pressing need to keep the same number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Next time when you're in Canada, you might consider getting a prepaid SIM with another provider, such as 7-11 Speakout (stores all over the country except Quebec). If you are on vacation in Canada once a year, you only need to top up $25 and it will be valid for 360 days, which is a much better margin than Koodo's 120 days.

Doing the math, you'd have to spend $30 to keep the SIM alive - once in January, then once again in May... and you'd probably need a Canadian credit card to add the funds.

Or, as Timo suggested, just let your account expire and buy a new one in June, but of course you'd lose any boosters you have now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Next time when you're in Canada, you might consider getting a prepaid SIM with another provider, ...

No 7-eleven east of Oshawa, ON.
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

Next time when you're in Canada, you might consider getting a prepaid SIM with another provider, ...

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/prepaid-cellphones/speakout-dualsim-card