Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How do I know if my iPhone 5s works with Koodo?

It is my brother's old phone from AT&T in the states and it will be unlocked.  I read that I could tell via the serial # for Wind and Mobilicity, which ends in FF9R.  It's gotten very confusing for me to figure out myself for sure though!  Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 5
You can check here;
http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-... 
You will need the IMEI # of the phone , that is explained in the above link.
An unlocked AT&T phone should work fine on Koodo
Thank you!  I've read that sometimes the IMEI method doesn't work, in other words, people have put in their IMEI and it told them their phone won't work but it does.  What has me confused is the AWS versus GSM thing...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rock.paper.well wrote:

Thank you!  I've read that sometimes the IMEI method doesn't work, in other words, people ha...

An AT&T iPhone 5S, once unlocked, will work on any mobile carrier in Canada. The WIND/Mobilicity serial # thing is for iPhone 5 models, not 5S. In any case, that's irrelevant for you.
rock.paper.well wrote:

Thank you!  I've read that sometimes the IMEI method doesn't work, in other words, people ha...

Thanks Ivan!  I was definitely tripped up by the iPhone 5 serial number issue. You're amazing!!
Userlevel 6
A more reliable way to check if your phone is unlocked is by inserting a Koodo nano sim, the link only shows if a phone will work but it does not guarantee that your iPhone will work until you use a sim card in it. It also needs to be unlocked, but usually AT&T phones work in Canada.
Erwin wrote:

A more reliable way to check if your phone is unlocked is by inserting a Koodo nano sim, the link...

Thank you Erwin!  It's my brother's phone and he will get it unlocked for me 🙂
Userlevel 6
Erwin wrote:

A more reliable way to check if your phone is unlocked is by inserting a Koodo nano sim, the link...

No prob, hope everything works well. If you ever just want to check if it works or not, just visit a Koodo kiosk 🙂