Koodo Community
Question

Help me save some$- Travelling to India and need roaming suggestions I see $1500 expense

• 18 February 2017
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello, I am traveling to India and I estimate that I might receive 6 to 10 hours of incoming calls from Canada. I see Indian is in Zone-2 and Koodo charges $2.50 / Min. If I consume 10 Hours of international incoming call it will reach $1500. Any way to reduce that expense? (People who will call me won't call on number from India). Currently, I have $58.00 monthly plan and I use iPhone 5S

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you think you will have access to wi-fi where you will be? If yes, there are alternative ways to take those calls. WhatsApp, Viber etc. Are you familiar with those?
Userlevel 2
No the caller will only call on my direct number - Wifi Apps out of scope
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No the caller will only call on my direct number - Wifi Apps out of scope Hmmmm...than it gets tricky. I was going to suggest as the next option to unlock your phone and pick up a local SIM. Bharti Airtel or any of the outfits.

http://www.airtel.in/

But you will have a different number while you are there. So if your caller only want to call your number that won't work. Thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No the caller will only call on my direct number - Wifi Apps out of scope I see three options easily accomplished. 1) Port your number to a Telus plan with Easy Roam where you can access your home plan minutes, text and data for $10/day, with a maximum charge for 15 days in a billing period, if I recall. 2) Port your number to a VoIP service, then forward that number to a phone you have with a SIM from a local telco in India. On your return, forward it to your local number. 3) Receive the call on your Canadian phone, then call them back using a cheaper calling method.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No the caller will only call on my direct number - Wifi Apps out of scope If you are on pre-paid, there is no way to roam on a Koodo number outside of North America.

[i]     2) Port your number to a VoIP service, then forward that number to a phone
        you have with a SIM from a local telco in India. On your return,
        forward it to your local number.

David's option 2 is the most cost-effective. Buying a cheap handset in India may be less expensive than unlocking your iPhone. You will be able to make local calls in India at the local rates as well. CallCentric has some decent rates for forwarding overseas. You will have to shop around amongst the VoIP providers.

I am outside Canada for several months a year and have one central VoIP number  which gets forwarded anywhere in North America at no charge. Easily configurable over the web. You can set up a call directory on CallCentric for calls that will be forwarded automatically or others that will fall to voice mail so you won't be paying to forward wrong numbers and telemarketers.

You are quite right to point out that local contacts will not dial a "foreign" number, even if it's for free.

Let us know how things work out. You are surely not alone in a similar situation where overseas roaming can get expensive quickly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You said will only call your direct number. You can download Fongo or Textnow, both of which give you a Canadian number. Then you can give that number to the person who will be calling you and you can receive the call while you are connected to the internet via cellular or Wi-Fi connection.
Userlevel 2
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk about the same thing? 2) Won't Koodo charge me for forwarding calls internationally? Based on my Canadian telecom exp they are mean and they might charge me for that, or no because that will be call based on Data/Wifi?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...No, RebTel appears to work differently than the VoIP services we have suggested. Rebel seems to act as an intermediary between your current phone and the person you are calling. Seems much like a calling card, rather than a phone service.

Koodo will charge you to forward calls nationally or internationally, which is why the suggestion to [b]port your number to a VoIP service, then forward from that number to your cell number. You can also use a VoIP client to make & receive calls by local cellular data or Wi-Fi. AcroBits is one example.

I use voip.ms. Others have suggested Call Centric.

BTW, is this for  one caller or many?
Userlevel 2
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Hmm, I might have to research how Voip S forward works to understand - Long story short I am an active job hunter and don't want to miss calls from the recruiters. That is why I need my own number, I tried to check on CallCentric but the retain your number option gave error have emailed them with case lets see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...To avoid roaming charges, you will need a local telco service number in India, either by unlocking your iPhone and getting a local SIM or by using a local handset. You will pay the rate for receiving local calls.

VoIP (voice over internet protocol) is a service that can bypass the telco system, so the price for forwarding is in the order of pennies a minute rather than dollars. The origin and destination of these calls can be normal telco numbers or thru an internet connection. Attempting to handle these calls only while you are connected to wifi is not an elegant solution. That's why you need a local SIM or handset to use standard telephone services. You want a person calling you to reach you transparently by just dialing your number without having to rely on local wifi availability.

You will have to investigate rates and availability yourself.

RebTel, CazTel and others are services that buy up whoelsale long distance time and re-sell to the caller at a discount. Your caller will have to dial a prefix code such as 1010-### before dialing your number and will pay long-distance charges. Not what you want, even if service to India is available.

In some countries, it can be difficult for foreigners to rapidly acquire local cell service. Here's a point of departure for your research:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/India

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Just a warning: when you port out your number you will be closing out your Koodo account. If you are on pre-paid, you will lose any $$ or boosters that remain in your account.

Put the cart before the horse for a moment: if you are on Koodo monthly, don't port out your number, but get any available VoIP number offered. For $3 a month, your Koodo calls can be forwarded to this new VoIP number, which in turn will forward them to your temporary handset in India. When you get back, cancel the VoIP service.

This will not work if you are on prepaid, since call forwarding on that service is not functional.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Also, call forwarding your Canadian number means you are without a means of receiving calls while travelling (before you have anew SIM) or you have to buy an international travel package to tide you over until you get a new SIM.

If absolute certainty of receiving calls while you are travelling, I recommend the Telus option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...@ ABH, just a heads up that if you do decide to port out -it's totally your call- but you will have to pay back any outstanding TAB (our interest free loan) as well. That's not mean, is it? 🙂 It's just business. :-) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...

An alternative forwarding service to a VoIP number:

http://www.koalacalling.com/1/291/india_call_forwarding.asp

Userlevel 2
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Bernard not sure if we can have a call. I do want to retain my Koodo number and I pay monthly post-paid account and on TAB 1) I don't really know what porting does and how, if I buy a SIM in India and install this VoiP porting apps and integrate number Canada number for porting juts to receive few call. Is that also a problem will you disconnect my number as you pointed out? 2) If yes, what option you say? I don't want to pay $1500 in international roaming receiving
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Not sure if we can help with your options in India, but you can see how much help you have already gotten from other Koodo users. Porting out typically means another Canadian carrier. You cannot port your Canadian number to foreign telcos. If you buy a SIM in India it will likely have its own number associated with it. Installing a VOIP app wouldn't mean porting. I get the situation you are in but it does get complicated based on what you said you wanted to do. If people can leave messages for you that you could return their call using a local SIM which would cost you much less.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...To make this dead simple since we now know that you are on monthly and don't want to derange anything in your service or load any apps anywhere:

1. Get the Koodo call-forwarding add-on for $3 a month.
2. Get a cheap handset and prepaid SIM in India or have Koodo unlock your iPhone ($100 or so) and use an Indian SIM while there. If you have a relative or contact there that can do this for you ahead of time, it will be easier since you will know your local Indian number before leaving.
3. Sign up with the koala service. Take any number they offer that's in the same area code and close to your location as a receiving number. We'll take 514-555-5555 as an example. Specify your Indian number as the destination.
4. Before you leave Canada and want to have your calls forwarded, you dial *62*5145555555#. You will get a confirmation.

More detailed instructions here:
http://help.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-data-and-other-services/calling-features/how-do-i-use-call...

Once you have returned to Canada, you can deactivate the forwarding by dialing #62# from your handset.

PS: It's not difficult to see why most folks will gladly pay for a roaming package!!!!

Userlevel 2
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Bernard thanks for your involvement - 1) If I am ok with paying my TAB balance what other things I should know which might impact Koodo and my relations including money and current number - if I do install a VoIP and port to save international roaming calls receiving (basically controlling m,y koodo bill to skyrocket)? 2) Yes, I know voice mail suggestion which I will be charged to check voicemail as well
Userlevel 2
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...@Bob - I can use my mom number which is already active in India. Now to understand what you said 1) I register with Koala 2) I link my mom (destination) India number to Koala number 3) I forward my Canada number to the newly assigned Koala number. If all these goes well when people will call me on my Canada number it will get forwarded to new Koala number and as koala number is linked to my mom number is India I can receive calls from Canada directly on my mom mobile. Did I get the architecture right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Bingo!!!!
Userlevel 2
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Bob Thanks a ton, and all you contributed you all rock. Bernard, David, Goran. Happy Weekend
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob / David / Goran - Thanks, Questions - 1) Have you heard of Rebtel is VoIP number you talk ab...Bob The Electrician: Good find on the Koala Calling option.
Thanks!