Koodo Community

Community

Solved

HELP! iPhone texts vs. imessage?

I recently got an iphone 4 but don't have a data plan (I just use wifi everywhere.) I turned my imessage off but am not receiving any texts from my friends who also have iphones until I turn my wifi on again... how do I get anything that would be an imessage to come in as simply a text?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
I would try Settings > General > Reset > Reset network settings. You won't lose any stored data, but any WiFi passwords will be reset. Also somewhere in the settings there should be an option for "Send as SMS" but I don't have an iPhone in front of me to confirm exactly where that is. Then have your friends make sure they are sending you actual SMS and not iMessages as well... have one of them turn off their data or wifi and then try sending you a message too.
Userlevel 5
Yeah sometimes after turning iMessage off it can take days or weeks for the other iPhoens to realize your number is no longer attached to iMessage (can happen when you switch to another phone like an Android as well). Unfortunately the only real "fix" is to leave iMessage off, have your friends turn on the "send as SMS" option in their message settings, and just wait it out until Apple realises you're not using the service anymore and their phones just default to SMS.
Userlevel 7
Contact Apple Support and have them remove your number from their iMessage server. Or like Jorden said, you can wait it out until Apple's system realizes you no longer use iMessage
Userlevel 5
Ahmad wrote:

Contact Apple Support and have them remove your number from their iMessage server. Or like Jorden...

This will probably help, but I've heard mixed results on the length it takes for the other peoples phones to catch on.