Koodo Community
Solved

Have to change plan to upgrade phone?

• 4 November 2018
  • 6 replies

I was looking to upgrade my phone today and start a tab, but it seems I'm not able to without changing my plan. What's the deal with that?

Actually, I can do a small tab, with $10/month and $800 up front (I'm looking to update my iphone), but any bigger tab it won't let me do without upgrading my plan to at least $75/month (I pay $40 now). I called Koodo today and they said the same.

When you do the math its about the same - actually they make a bit more on the larger tab.

If the only thing I can defer is about $200 I might as well just buy the phone outright from apple.

What gives with that?
icon

Best answer by Mats 4 November 2018, 04:01

When you do the math its about the same - actually they make a bit more on the larger tab.

They make alot more when you get a tab large/extra large/extra extra large.
As an example....
5GB plan with tab small/medium is $50/month
5GB plan with tab large is $75/month, tab extra large $85/month.
Over 2 years it's alot more.

Same plan costs you $25- $35 more a month. This is how they get their "interest" on paying such little down.

Small or medium tabs are the best deals. Even better on phones that have been out for awhile. As you say though, on a latest and greatest phone the savings might not be worth it rather than buying it outright.
View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
hi stwsimon,
The market, unfortunately, was structured like that.. https://www.koodomobile.com/help/keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone

Koodo sweetspot is the medium Tab with many discounts on those mid-tier phones. But if you are looking for newer iphone models, there might be little/no discount. The Tab is basically a free interest payment plan, that helps you to lower the upfront cost.

I wouldn't recommend you go for $75+ plan to get a phone. That large Tab rateplan might cost you more in the long term.
Badge +4

They make alot more when you get a tab large/extra large/extra extra large.
As an example....
5GB plan with tab small/medium is $50/month
5GB plan with tab large is $75/month, tab extra large $85/month.
Over 2 years it's alot more.

Same plan costs you $25- $35 more a month. This is how they get their "interest" on paying such little down.

Small or medium tabs are the best deals. Even better on phones that have been out for awhile. As you say though, on a latest and greatest phone the savings might not be worth it rather than buying it outright.
Yeah that sucks. I’m not gonna change my plan, i have 6gb now for the $40/month. I will either get a phone elsewhere or wait.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah that sucks. I’m not gonna change my plan, i have 6gb now for the $40/month. I will either get a phone elsewhere or wait.
The large tabs that require more expensive plans are really about taking advantage of the poor who can't afford a new phone upfront. It's like how convinence stores and downtown supermarkets are more expensive since they know their customers are less likely to drive.

I agree that you should stick with your awesome plan and possibly buy the phone direct from Apple without any tab. I feel those who actually buy a phone not on tab understand the cost of a phone a lot more, and are more likely to treat them better
The large tabs don't actually make the phone more expensive (not by much at least). The XR from apple is 1029. Buying it on a xl tab works out to $1060.

It's the requirement of that higher priced plan that messes things up, and in my case their $75 plan isn't as good as what I already have for $40 - so I'd have to give them an extra $840 for less service. Thats almost like buying 2 iphones and getting crappier service. Screwy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The large tabs don't actually make the phone more expensive (not by much at least). The XR from apple is 1029. Buying it on a xl tab works out to $1060.

It's the requirement of that higher priced plan that messes things up, and in my case their $75 plan isn't as good as what I already have for $40 - so I'd have to give them an extra $840 for less service. Thats almost like buying 2 iphones and getting crappier service. Screwy.

That's what I said. It requires more expensive plans. And those Tab L plans are of lower value