Koodo Community
Question

Frustrated with KOODO false warranty promise on accessory

My daughter bought a moshi airfoil glass screen protector for her iphone 5S from koodo kiosk in Halifax Shopping Center, because they told her at the kiosk that it was guaranteed, if anything happened it would be replaced under warranty. She paid $40 for it. It cracked after 2 days normal use and now she has discovered that she has to go through a company in the US to replace it at a cost to her of $25 USD which is approx $36 CAD. We are not impressed and would like Koodo to step up and stand behind the promise made to her at the kiosk. We have been koodo customers for almost 10 years with numerous phones and this is the worst false advertising I have ever seen!

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Hmm. I'm not sure of a single screen protector that is guaranteed to never break or they will replace it. 
Typically the guarantee is is regarding manufacturer defects or the like.
I know at my local Koodo all accessories are exchange only within 7 days and that would not cover physical damage like the breaking of a screen protector.

What does it say on your receipt regarding return policy?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hmm. I'm not sure of a single screen protector that is guaranteed to never break or they will rep...Actually there are many that a guaranteed for life with replacement upon damaging. That said they ALL have to be done through the manufacturer of the Tempered Glass screen protector as specified in the packaging of the product.
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would be covered under warranty. It literally cracked after 2 days. When she went into the Koodo kiosk they told her she had to register online with moshi.com and then send them the info and they would look after the warranty. When she emailed moshi, she was given a coupon code which made the replacement screen $10 USD, with $15 USD for shipping to Canada which is essentially like going an buying another with the exchange! Why is a Canadian company sending their customers to the US for service? She paid the extra and bought the more expensive screen protector thinking that it would be better quality and that she would b protected under the warranty they told her about at th time she bought it. Apparently not, hence my statement that it is false advertising.
Userlevel 6
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...Yeah, in a world where screen protectors are like 5-10 bucks.
I would say skip the hassle!
As for the false advertising, all I can really see is what is listed here

http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/what-is-your-15-day-money...

[b]Accessories are not eligible for returns or refunds unless they're defective.

If there was a miscommunication between your daughter and the rep then that is super unfortunate.
There luckily is some sort of guarantee, but yeah it doesn't sound so good from the sounds of it =P

Thankfully it wasn't your screen. Screen protectors are specifically designed TO break, in place of your screen. So I would suggest picking up a cheapy somewhere and replacing it.
Better luck with the next !
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...Thanks Mitchell, I appreciate your feedback. Although it doesn't help my daughter replace the expensive screen protector she bought. She is always and has always been careful with her phones, my son on the other hand, not so much. She is very upset about the whole situation and we are prepared to pay her tab off and leave KOODO, so it would seem they will loose a good, long standing customer over a $40 accessory. As well at what I'm sure she has posted on social media about the situation. I work in client relations and business development and I can tell you, I would have replaced the darn thing for her. Have a great night Mitchell!
Userlevel 6
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...Hope it works out for you Melanie 🙂
Userlevel 2
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...Sorry, Melanie ... that must be frustrating.

I just wanted to say that my experience with Koodo was that they were very generous, they seem to have disregarded their rule. Situation: I bought a new Moto X-Play and they didn't have the case that I wanted. So, they suggested I'd buy another (to use until I was able to purchase the desired case elsewhere) and I would be able to return it within 15 days. That worked out. (But, of course, it was not damaged.) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...It's glass it can crack the first 10 seconds you put it in the device if it's dropped and is exactly what it's meant to do break instead of the display so it did it's job. From now on don't buy expensive Tempered Glass screen protectors I learner this just like your daughter did and now buy them from eBay for $5-$10 and they are as good as the expensive ones and in some cases better. There are many places in Canada even that sell them on eBay for that price so definitely check them out.
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...Thanks Paul, the thing is she didnt drop it or damage it in any way, so it chipped/cracked on its own.  I could understand the theory of it saving her screen, but that wasn't the case here.  Obviously she won't be buying another.  She got a pkg of 3 at Walmart for $10 last night to protect her screen until she gets things worked out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...Melanie, did you happen to talk to the store manager about the situation? 
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...She went into the kiosk on her own (she's 21), but she did not press to speak to the manager. I suggested she go back and do that. She was very upset last night and called me, that's why I have gotten involved and I did send an inquiry to KOODO online last night, no response yet. I would like to speak to someone (a manager about it). I have been a KOODO customer and had numerous phones with them for both my kids for nearly 10 years now. Very poor customer service in my mind.
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...Hi Melanie, My name is Nabil Tannous, I am the area manager for the Koodo Shops in Atlantic Canada. Would you mind sending me an email with your contact information? I can be reached at nabil.tannous@koodomobile.com. Thanks Nabil
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...Thank you Nabil for the call and for looking after my daughter, we really appreciate the speedy response and for valuing our business enough to make the effort to look after her right away.  She will go in tomorrow to pick up her replacement screen protector.  Thank you again, Melanie
It doesn't specify on the receipt, she was told that if anything happened to the screen it would ...My pleasure, glad I could help.
Userlevel 7
This is why I don't buy expensive glass screen protectors anymore. I'll find them on Amazon for less than half of the typical huge $30 to $40 markup you see in stores, and then I'll order a couple of Chinese backups on eBay for a few bucks each. Those take a lot longer to ship from China, though, so I make sure I have one locally first.