Koodo Community

Community

Solved

finish unlock iPhone 6 process

may be dumb question but I unlocked to use for couple weeks in U.K. - email to complete basically gives 2 options; wipe and restore which restores very little of the phone content - or "If you have a SIM card from another carrier: "Remove your current SIM card and insert the non-Koodo SIM card Complete the setup process" - I hope someone can confirm I'm reading it right - no need to wipe data and restore - I simply need to put in SIM card from provider when I get there

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Dave,

From past experience you need to do a factory restore of the phone to complete the unlock. You can plug your phone into iTunes and make a full backup, reset the phone and then restore the phone and it will be ready for you to use with any other carrier. 
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Dave,

From past experience you need to do a factory restore of the phone to complete the unlo...

Thanks Mathieu - appreciate your input
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Dave. I'd try to confirm that my iPhone is unlocked before leaving. From personal experience, I didn't need a restore. Just needed another SIM card
Robert wrote:

Hi Dave. I'd try to confirm that my iPhone is unlocked before leaving. From personal experie...

Thanks Robert - appreciate your input as well - how do you confirm it is unlocked - I've read you can plug in another sim and see if it works - but the people I know with a sim for an iPhone 6 are all on Koodo so I don't know that it would prove anything
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hi Dave. I'd try to confirm that my iPhone is unlocked before leaving. From personal experie...

You can bring the phone into another carrier and ask them to try and "may want to switch over"
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

From my experience, restoring an iPhone from an iTunes backup fully restores the contents of the phone to it's previous state. I have used it many times to upgrade to a new iPhone.